Author Topic: summer olympics  (Read 1990 times)

Offline BlindDruid

• Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
summer olympics
« on: July 30, 2012, 08:06:51 PM »
Is it me or are my expectatons of our athletes way to high.  Only one medal in 3 days.  Seriously tho I do blame the government for their lacklustre attitude towards the overall approach to our national pride which includes the funding towards our athletes.  Where in some countries where their athletes are well taken cared of so that they can train to the best of their ability, for many athletes here thier training is secondary to meeting their daily needs. Its pitiful.   
Time passes, things change, the Sens WILL WIN the CUP. 
edit -  Hopefully within my lifetime.......

Offline Jasonf6

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • The good 'ol days
    • View Profile
Re: summer olympics
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 11:33:31 AM »
Well, we don't have the budge, population or insane expecations of China as to allow what they do:  Basically house, feed, pay, train and push their athletes it seems from birth.  This is why I am never impressed with anything the Chinese or Russians do anymore. 

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 03:06:14 PM »
We are now at four bronze medals as I post this and Brent Hayden will be in a final tomorrow night in men's swimming.  The Women's soccer team came from behind today, down 2-0, to tie it at 2-2 and, as a result, have made it through to the quarterfinals.  Not sure when those matches start.

All that to say....our athletes are doing about what I expect although I do admit that some of our Olympians certainly don't get much help financially....the weighlifter (name escapes me right now) from White Rock, B.C. uses her parents' garage as her training area.  So GOOD ON HER and HER PARENTS for her bronze medal today!!   :nod:

And while I agree that our federal budget is certainly not anywhere close to some countries' it was the only budget not touched in the recent federal budget.  It remains totally intact.  Gotta look on the "bright" side.   ;)
"If you can't make up your mind, 'What the hell' is usually the right answer."  Ellen Reid Smith

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 03:21:27 AM »
The Women's Soccer Team will be playing Great Britain Friday in the quarterfinals. 
"If you can't make up your mind, 'What the hell' is usually the right answer."  Ellen Reid Smith

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Some Heads Are Gonna Roll!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 03:25:51 AM »
"A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you donít need it"

Offline BlindDruid

• Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 02:06:44 PM »
http://www.cbc.ca/olympics/badminton/story/2012/07/31/sp-badminton-london-olympics-world-badminton-federation-china-south-korea-indonesia.html

Funny how the team that couldn't purposely out-suck the other filed a complaint.  :A_laughing_matter:

and the best part is that it allows the Canadian team a great chance at a medal. 
Time passes, things change, the Sens WILL WIN the CUP. 
edit -  Hopefully within my lifetime.......

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 02:53:47 PM »
The story I posted has since changed. At first, it was just the badminton federation complaining, but since then the 8 players involved have been disqualified, moving Canada in the medal round.
"A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you donít need it"

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 02:37:02 PM »
Anyone else watch that gold metal wrestling match with the Canadian? I don't think I've watch anything this boring in a long, long time. She didn't even try one single attack move until she was about 5 seconds away from losing.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.