Author Topic: Possible labor dispute this fall  (Read 7659 times)

Offline BlindDruid

• Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
Possible labor dispute this fall
« on: August 05, 2012, 09:35:19 AM »
According to this article the contract talks are not doing so well.  I would think that both sides would want a speedy resolution as another work stoppage would do real damage to the sport.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/story/2012/08/04/sp-nhl-labour-talks-gary-bettman.html
Time passes, things change, the Sens WILL WIN the CUP. 
edit -  Hopefully within my lifetime.......

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
Re: Possible labor dispute this fall
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 09:56:17 AM »
The article is not 'upbeat' but I will remain hopeful that they will get a new CBA done without a work stoppage simply because I don't want to think about "no hockey" like a few years back.  THAT was horrible!  Since I have no idea what the NHLPA counter-proposals are to what the owners have put on the table I am choosing to believe that there is still room to negotiate.
"If you can't make up your mind, 'What the hell' is usually the right answer."  Ellen Reid Smith

Offline BlindDruid

• Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 11:04:27 AM »
And if there is a work stoppage which lasts the season, or most of the season, then Alfie's decision to return is a moot point.

Offline Sasquatch

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 11:34:46 AM »
Oh god, there better not be another strike/lockout type thing happen.... It's really frustrating for fans.
I don't know if it damages the sport, but it definitely calls into question the practices of the league itself. 2 stoppages in such a short time frame really makes the NHL look bad.
On the other hand, it's great for other leagues like the OHL as attendance will spike dramatically.

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Some Heads Are Gonna Roll!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 07:15:38 PM »
but it definitely calls into question the practices of the league itself. 2 stoppages in such a short time frame really makes the NHL look bad.

I remember when the new deal was signed, the NHL and all the so-called experts were claiming the NHL won that deal, especially with the salary cap and the 20% salary reduction. Less than a year later, the owners were back to offering ridiculous deals, which put them in their current situation (assuming they are honest about their revenues). Bunch of hypocrites.
"A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you donít need it"

Offline psahlgren

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Stanley to Ottawa 2014-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 10:43:58 AM »
I hate the idea of a lock out and no NHL for a year.
Come on owners!! You realize once these players make plans to go overseas to play, they will still be earning a paycheck while you will be paying your rent for the empty stadiums and not earning a dime. 50% of something is a lot better than 57% of nothing.

If you won't move from your stance, then the only losers I see here are the owners and the fans...

"We feel we've been playing playoff hockey for a while now." - Andrew Hammond

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 12:28:16 PM »
Come on owners!! You realize once these players make plans to go overseas to play, they will still be earning a paycheck while you will be paying your rent for the empty stadiums and not earning a dime. 50% of something is a lot better than 57% of nothing.

If you won't move from your stance, then the only losers I see here are the owners and the fans...

^^In no situation do I see the owners as part of the "only losers".  They put up a proposal limiting contracts to a term of five years and promptly continue to sign players (ie Hartnell THIS week) to six year extensions!?!  Not to mention those ridiculous contracts earlier in the offseason for twelve and thirteen years, etc.  As usual, they are talking out of both sides of their mouths...and their asses!

I feel for the fans but also for all the "minor" jobs within the stadiums...ticket sellers, ushers, parking lot attendants, etc.  While the billionaires (owners) and the millionaires (players) thrash this out, these people will be looking for jobs elsewhere and/or collecting social assistance.

The owners as "losers"?  Not for me. :shake:
"If you can't make up your mind, 'What the hell' is usually the right answer."  Ellen Reid Smith

Offline Jasonf6

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • The good 'ol days
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 12:38:27 PM »
 :icon_agree: completely.

I'm sure the owners have contingency plans or arrangements whereby a lockout won't break their bank.

If there is a lockout it will be fault of the owners and only them.  The players union (as much as I hate unions) are trying to give back all the while trying to make sure they don't get screwed.  Limiting contracts to five years is a no-brainer imo because given the number of concussions and other career-ending injuries I don't see why you would ever sign to a 10+ year contract. 

The whole revenue sharing thing bugs the sh*t out of me.  The owners want to pocket all the money while giving the players less.  Sure they should get a return on their investment but 57%, ha.  A 50/50 split, since ya know the players make you the money, is more than fair.

If there is a lockout again I fear that it will do more harm than anyone can imagine.  Best not let it happen there Butthead.

Offline BlindDruid

• Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 01:25:51 PM »
Good article here about the current negotiations.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/hockey/calgary-flames/lockout+gamble+that+fans+would+back/7139017/story.html

Basicly states that public opinion doesnt matter as the league believes that they will recover from any action as historically fans always came back.  Revenues are way up in the past few years. Unfortunately they may have a point there. 

Offline Jasonf6

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • The good 'ol days
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 08:36:11 PM »
They do have a point but maybe we should teach them a lesson this time.  However, it might not work anyhow as most teams rely heavily on corporate support and I doubt that would dwindle.

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 11:44:55 AM »
They do have a point but maybe we should teach them a lesson this time.  However, it might not work anyhow as most teams rely heavily on corporate support and I doubt that would dwindle.

Maybe fans of teams should hold "Occupy" demonstrations at their various arenas' parking lots.  You know, the "99%" (fans and low-level workers) protesting against the "1%" in each city (the owners and players who, after all, DO represent the ones who get all the money that the 99% put into the sport).  Yes...corporate support does also come from the one-percenters as well but they hand out the tickets to those who will miss the games as well. 

Offline psahlgren

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
Re: New NHL proposal reduces financial demands
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 10:53:36 AM »
"According to TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger, the basis of NHL's latest proposal is to reduce the league's financial demands - believed to be approximately $460 million in the league's first proposal - overall, including a $120 million reduction in its Year One demands."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=404044

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 12:56:19 PM »
I can no longer read articles on this because, for me, it just reads like "blah, blah, blah".  In the end, wake me up when a deal is signed and the schedule for games is set. :shake:

Offline psahlgren

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2012, 01:28:03 PM »
You are right i just cant wait for the new s :ccclapping:eason

Offline Jasonf6

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • The good 'ol days
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012, 10:31:00 AM »
I can't read the articles because I have absolutely zero financial background AND it really bores me.  The fact that Bettman won't even allow the season to start WHILE still negotiating a CBA means he has no idea what they will lose if the season is cancelled.

Why the owners/NHL feel they should get a 57% share (and yes I am aware the players did this past CBA) of the revenue is hilarious.  It should be a 50/50 split as the players are the ones getting you the money in the first place.

Offline Jasonf6

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • The good 'ol days
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2012, 11:14:44 AM »
"The NHL seems content to lock out the players if an agreement isn't reached this week, and we would like the Quebec Labour Board to step in and inform them that their lockout would be in direct violation of the Quebec labour laws," forward Erik Cole said in a statement.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/sports/nhl/story/2012/09/09/sp-nhl-nhlpa-bettman-fehr-daly.html

Seriously?  They expect the NHL to not lockout the players because ONE team in ONE province says it's a violation of their labour laws?  ROFL.

Offline Sasquatch

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2012, 12:46:07 PM »
Looks like the Canadiens may get the cup this year. 

Offline Jasonf6

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • The good 'ol days
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2012, 07:53:05 PM »
 :mrgreen:

Offline Rickman

• Future Hall of Famer
  • True Sens Fan (not one of those bandwagon jumpers)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2012, 12:26:25 PM »

Just a case of Billionnaires fighting Millionnaires, and we are the poor smucks paying their salaries! 

God bless the fans who claim they will stay away, but are so happy when it's back on!  :A_laughing_matter:

Online CrustyOldGuy

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2012, 08:37:46 AM »
The Canadiens won't be suiting up any earlier than any other team.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=405247
Now that I am older, I thought it was great that I seemed to have more patience.  Turns out I just don't give a damn.

I don't have an attitude...I have a personality you can't handle!