On Time.
1 (14.3%)
November.
0 (0%)
December.
2 (28.6%)
January.
0 (0%)
The winter classic will be the first game of the year.
2 (28.6%)
There won't be a season this year.
2 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: September 15, 2012, 04:25:12 PM

Author Topic: Start of the NHL Season.  (Read 5484 times)

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Some Heads Are Gonna Roll!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Start of the NHL Season.
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2012, 09:05:16 AM »
Totally off topic, but the Citizen wants me to pay to look at articles at their site?  Not happening... :shake:

Yep. They allow a certain number per day and then expect people to pay. Like that's gonna happen with the slew of other sites out there to get news from.
"A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you donít need it"

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2012, 01:51:10 PM »
Hmmmm.....with their penchant for ordering (aka legislating) people back to work, why not do a shout-out to the PM to consider the economic ramifications of the NHL Lock-out on the "fragile Canadian economy" (the Finance Minister's own words) and legislate the Canadian teams back to work?  Think of all the club workers, arena workers, restaurant/bar owners and their staffs, airlines/private airlines missed trips, hotels not booked, equipment suppliers and manufacturers, etc., etc. who have been affected? 

:sarcasm1 (I think  :mrgreen: )
"If you can't make up your mind, 'What the hell' is usually the right answer."  Ellen Reid Smith

Offline Billy_Muckwalt

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2012, 09:12:57 PM »
As much as some people see the immediate impact, some don't. Put Harper in the latter pile.  He can't get involved, it would be a show of passion.
Luongo sucks.

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2012, 03:41:26 AM »
This quote from Steve Simmons might be the one that made the most sense to me so far:

The players have done nothing wrong here but have no leverage. Their leverage, sadly, comes from making a deal, being paid accordingly (as always) and watching owners trip all over themselves afterwards.

If I'm the players, I would fight to keep most of the "benefits" (RFA/UFA age, arbitration, etc) and take a pay cut. After all, it's only a matter of time before salaries are right back where they are now (if not above) due to the owners' inability to control themselves.
"A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you donít need it"

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2012, 11:16:09 AM »
This quote from Steve Simmons might be the one that made the most sense to me so far:

If I'm the players, I would fight to keep most of the "benefits" (RFA/UFA age, arbitration, etc) and take a pay cut. After all, it's only a matter of time before salaries are right back where they are now (if not above) due to the owners' inability to control themselves.

Gotta agree, Metal.  Particularly as you watched owners/teams fall all over themselves right up to an hour before the deadline getting players signed to contracts that are longer than the limits they are  now proposing for large payouts and/or bonuses.   :rolleyes
"If you can't make up your mind, 'What the hell' is usually the right answer."  Ellen Reid Smith

Offline work2play

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
    • Petition Spot - CBC is for all Canadians
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2012, 06:05:58 PM »

Gretzky is optimistic there will be a season.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=406504

I'm sticking to January 1 and the winter classic as my start date.

So many other good comments here:

@MH:  Like the idea, but from what I understand having salaries escalate back is exactly what the owners want to prevent with the new CBA.

@Rose:  Would love to see them legislated back to work.  Still baffles me why the millionaires need a players association that acts like it wants to be a union.  Until of course it's best payed members sign in Europe to play for a fraction of what they get paid in the NHL, then any signs of "union solidarity' are quickly abandoned.

@Jasonf6:  Excellent point about the CAW and the auto makers negotiations going to marathon sessions as the deadline was reached and passed.  That's how compromises get hammered out and deals reached.

@CrustyOldGuy:  Shame about the layoffs starting already.  Those are the people that really get hurt in all of this.

In general, I'm getting to the point where I really don't care when the NHL come back.  Thinking about doign a tour of OHL cities (starting with the five that are within a 90 minute drive of my house).  Maybe I'll pay attention to the NHL again when I have been to every OHL city.  Or maybe I'll start on a tour of the Q and the WHL after that.  Either way, this hockey fan will watch hockey this year (starting this month).
Lost your job yet?  Keep buying foreign!

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2012, 01:03:18 AM »
@MH:  Like the idea, but from what I understand having salaries escalate back is exactly what the owners want to prevent with the new CBA.

Geez, where/when have I heard that one before. ;)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 01:54:12 PM by Metalhawk »

Offline stone169

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2012, 10:30:00 AM »
I've come the realisation that I don't really care if they come back or not.  Will I miss the Sens?  Sure.  But this is the 3rd lockout since Bettman took over and it's just getting stupid.  The owners do this to themselves and then they expect the players to fix it.

Besides my son is playing competitve hockey this year, so I wouldn't have much time to watch these overpaid millionaires play hockey.  I'd rather watch my son who's been grinning from ear to ear ever since he made the team, both on and off the ice.  That's hockey.
There are good coaches and there are bad coaches, the real question is "Do you want this person to be a role model to your kids for the next 6 months".  That's the question you have to ask yourself.

Go Sarnia Jr. Sting Minor Midget MD!!!!!