Author Topic: Brian Burke fired from Leafs  (Read 2364 times)

Offline BlindDruid

• Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
Brian Burke fired from Leafs
« on: January 09, 2013, 01:29:09 PM »
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2013/01/09/maple_leafs_fire_brian_burke/
The assumption is that he was fired as he was trying to get trade their 1st round draft pick for Luongo. 
Could it be the 128-135-42 record with the Leafs and the longest non-playoff drought ever?

Time passes, things change, the Sens WILL WIN the CUP. 
edit -  Hopefully within my lifetime.......

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Some Heads Are Gonna Roll!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Brian Burke fired from Leafs
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 01:40:36 PM »
I find the timing strange. Then again, Burke was never known as the greatest guy, and it could just be that the new ownership got tired of his act...
"A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you donít need it"

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 02:17:59 PM »
Kind of surprised that he is being kept on as a "senior advisor" but whatever.  Wonder if Nonis will continue with the "truculence" mandate that Burke set out on?  Also agree ^^ that the timing is interesting, to say the least. :icon_questionable:
"If you can't make up your mind, 'What the hell' is usually the right answer."  Ellen Reid Smith

Offline CrustyOldGuy

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 02:47:05 PM »
Wonder if there was some disagreement over the Luongo issue?  :smily677:
Now that I am older, I thought it was great that I seemed to have more patience.  Turns out I just don't give a damn.

I don't have an attitude...I have a personality you can't handle!

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Some Heads Are Gonna Roll!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 01:22:04 AM »
Wonder if there was some disagreement over the Luongo issue?  :smily677:

Sportsnet is reporting that Burke got fired over his refusal to pull the trigger on Luongo.

Within minutes of a firing that shook the landscape here at the Board of Governor's meetings, a source confirmed to sportsnet.ca that Burke was unwilling to make the trade that all of his lieutenants inside the Leafs organization were pushing for. That includes Burke's replacement, new Leafs GM Dave Nonis, who will now work towards consummating that trade with the Vancouver Canucks.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2013/01/09/brian_burke_fired_roberto_luongo_trade_maple_leafs_canucks/
"A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you donít need it"

Offline Sasquatch

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 11:16:39 AM »
He probably doesn't want to be the guy who mortgaged the Leafs Future TWICE, on trades.

Restrospect, Yes the Kessel trade was bad. But at the time.... well it was bad then too...

Lets face it, he just wasn't good for the Leafs. He kept advertising a style and a specific type of team and the Leafs NEVER represented what he was spouting.

I for one am happy to see him gone, and I hope for a competitive Leafs team in the future to breath some life into this LONG dead rivalry.

Good quote from another board (a Leaf fan)
In other words, he took a horrible team, completely turned it over, and created another horrible team. You can talk about five year plans all you want, but a greater than 95% player turnover and getting the same results indicates that the plan was a poor one.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 11:40:29 AM by Sasquatch »

Offline Billy_Muckwalt

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 10:04:38 PM »
Although the timing sucked, it was the right move if you're a Leafs fan.  :bag:
That quote above is perfect. He basically took a lame team and put it through a blender.  And came up with another lame team....  I do agree with Burk though, Luongo will poop the bed in T.O.
Luongo sucks.

Offline Jasonf6

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • The good 'ol days
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 08:05:00 AM »
I can't wait for them to sell the team to get Luongo and have Luongo sh*t the bed when he gets here.  He isn't the answer and the fans know it.  This should be good to watch.

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 05:49:23 PM »
I heard Burke's public comments about his firing/demotion and, to paraphrase, it was "...it was like having a two-by-four hit me upside on the head....". He also mentioned that it was his goal to be GM with another team (not a surprise....although I personally could see him returning to the NHL head office eventually). 
"If you can't make up your mind, 'What the hell' is usually the right answer."  Ellen Reid Smith