Author Topic: Matt Cooke wonít be suspended for hit on Erik Karlsson  (Read 3486 times)

Offline psahlgren

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Stanley to Ottawa 2014-2015
    • View Profile
Matt Cooke wonít be suspended for hit on Erik Karlsson
« on: February 14, 2013, 09:56:52 AM »
http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2013/02/14/matt_cooke_wont_be_suspended_for_hit_on_erik_karlsson_cox.html
After reviewing the incident, NHL disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan informed both teams this morning there will be no further action by the league.

This just makes me wanna puke :icon_angry2: :icon_angry2: :icon_angry2:

"We feel we've been playing playoff hockey for a while now." - Andrew Hammond

Offline Sasquatch

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
Re: Matt Cooke wonít be suspended for hit on Erik Karlsson
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 10:05:04 AM »
I honestly don't think he meant to cut Karlsson's leg up, BUT, I do think he intended to slew-foot him. Karlsson was just to strong going into the boards that Cooke couldn't get him off his feet...
THe fact he tried to sweep Karlsson's legs out from under him WHILE GOING INTO THE BOARDS, shows an intent to injure in my eyes.
Had the slew foot been successful, Karlsson would have went flying into the boards with his legs at an awkward angle and potentially broken or sprained his leg or ankle.

THIS is the issue I have. The cut was a freak accident, but the intent to dangerously throw the ol' slew foot was 100% clear.
Its undeniable !

Offline psahlgren

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Stanley to Ottawa 2014-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 12:01:57 PM »
Cooke, for his part, called the play "a complete accident."   

"I was at the end of a shift," Cooke said. "As he took a shot, I went to the corner. Him and I were engaged and he went down screaming. I didn't even know what happened.

"Obviously, I feel terrible about it. I'm not trying to do that, obviously."   

YEAH RIGHT!!! :icon_angry2:

"We feel we've been playing playoff hockey for a while now." - Andrew Hammond

Offline Sasquatch

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 12:30:52 PM »
Apparently the injury is only a laceration and the achilles is not completely severed.
Keep your ears open for confirmation, this would be a much better scenario

Offline thirstymoose_2000

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • There's Always 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 12:52:25 PM »
Still likely 4 months + to get back on the ice from what I've heard.

The more I see that clip, the more intentional it looks.
2011-2012 Season of the Young Guns!

Offline Sasquatch

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 01:17:24 PM »
4 months + Yes,  BUT
Rupture = a shorter tendon because of surgeries, which = less range of motion
Laceration = (should) regain full range once healed.

update -
"Erik had surgery this morning to repair a 70% cut in his achilles. Recovery time is 3-4 months" - #Sens GM Bryan Murray
Retweeted by Bob McKenzie
I wouldnt want him back this year... You don't take chances on a player like that..

On another note...
The kevlar "cut resistant" socks are a bit thicker, but I wonder why more people don't wear them..
Apparently everyone on the Montreal Canadiens have to, and Carey Price even wears wrist wraps..
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 01:26:38 PM by Sasquatch »

Offline Jasonf6

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • The good 'ol days
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 01:44:18 PM »
The kevlar "cut resistant" socks are a bit thicker, but I wonder why more people don't wear them..
Apparently everyone on the Montreal Canadiens have to, and Carey Price even wears wrist wraps..

This is what gets me.  These players are some of the best in the world and get paid A LOT of mone to play a sport.  Why you don't take all precautions to protect yourself (that don't hinder your ability to play) is beyond me.  They have tech out there to prevent just this thing and I doubt it hurts your skating/playing ability.

Offline Billy_Muckwalt

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 02:25:52 PM »
You shouldn't have to take precautions against someone intentionally stomping you with their skates.
Cooke is a dirty gutless player who makes a living by being a rat.  I am glad I had the opportunity a few years back to tell him right to his face.  Of course he knew where his feet were and that he was going to come down on the back of Karlessons leg. Some players are good at shooting, some are good as defensive players, some are good on the Power Play, Cooke is a master of the cheap shot. 

He clearly comes up with the skate, and stomps it down against the back of his leg. I would like to give him a lie detector test and ask him if there was any malicious intent to what he did. 

The sad thing is it will happen and again....   I said it in a previous thread years ago but there's nothing that can happen to this guy on the ice that would make me feel sorry for him.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 02:53:32 PM by Billy_Muckwalt »
Luongo sucks.

Offline Sasquatch

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 02:35:39 PM »
I still strongly believe what I said above..
Slew-foot gone bad....

Exactly what happened here, just with a worse outcome..
Cooke just couldnt pull it off..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FVgjA1yQ8k

Pretty much an identical play. Subbans foot even comes up.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 02:39:47 PM by Sasquatch »

Offline Billy_Muckwalt

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 02:55:28 PM »
Yeah, he's not even talented enough to pull off a slew foot... instead winds up ending one of the best players in the leagues season and possibly affecting his mobility even when healed.

Don't worry though fans, Cooke will be out playing....

This is what needs to happen to Cooke every time he acts up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLqpw_uKyds
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 03:18:59 PM by Billy_Muckwalt »
Luongo sucks.

Offline stone169

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 04:48:34 PM »
I'd like to say that Cooke will get his the next time the Pens play the Sens, but he won't.  We don't have Carkner anymore.  Neil thinks he's a goal scorer now and so does Smith.  No one on this team will make Cooke pay or take it out on the Pens superstars because this team has never been like that.  It's really too bad.  I think it's time someone makes Cooke pay or says "hey, you took out our superstar, now we're going to target all of your best players next time we meet."

There are good coaches and there are bad coaches, the real question is "Do you want this person to be a role model to your kids for the next 6 months".  That's the question you have to ask yourself.

Go Sarnia Jr. Sting Minor Midget MD!!!!!

Offline work2play

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
    • Petition Spot - CBC is for all Canadians
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 06:20:24 PM »

Sasquatch I have to disagree. Watch the way Cooke straightens his knee to drive his skate down into Karlsson's calf.  That to me is the difference between the slew foot by Subban and the play last night.  The slew foot is a sweeping motion to knock the guys legs out from behind (still a dirty and dangerous play).  Cooke does not try to sweep Karlsson's feet out, he straightens his knee to stomp the skate blade down into Karlsson's calf.  When I used to referee that was defined as a distinct kicking motion and would have drawn a match penalty.

Much has been made in the press about Cooke looking away so it couldn't have been deliberate. Anyone who skates well knows that you do not have to be looking at something to direct your skate that way.  Maybe it's because so few of these TV bobble heads actually skate well that they think where he was looking is relevant. Or maybe it's because Cooke has supposedly cleaned up his act they are all jumping in to defend him.  To me it's just another star player taken out by a cheap shot from the dirtiest player in the league. 

As long as teams can take liberties like this with Ottawa's star players with no fear of retribution, we will see more injuries to Ottawa's best players.  Don't know about anyone else, but I miss Carkner and Konopka in Senators uniforms a little more today than I did yesterday.

Lost your job yet?  Keep buying foreign!

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Some Heads Are Gonna Roll!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 10:11:01 PM »
I can't vouch for this since I didn't watch the post-game stuff, but I've read that the guys on TV (Pang and Ward) were adamant it was a dirty play. Then all of a sudden, they changed their tune and both started insisting it was an accident.

Many "conspiracy theorists" believe the NHL contacted Bobby Mackenzie and "forced" them to change their tune so that the incident doesn't go viral.
"A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you donít need it"

Offline Billy_Muckwalt

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 09:17:36 AM »
I agree. There isn't one person I have seen on an NHL panel who has claimed this to be a dirty hit, when indeed it was.  The theme I hear is Cooke wasn't looking so he didn't know what he was doing, in a league where there's regular 'no look passes'. So these players are skilled enough to pass the puck through defenders and put it right on the tape without having to look, but they have to be looking at their skates to know where their feet are? Oh c'mon. He chops right down with his skate...Seems the NHL and media are more concerned with protecting players like Matt Cooke.... sucks to be an NHL fan these days.

Luongo sucks.

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2013, 12:59:14 PM »
I can't vouch for this since I didn't watch the post-game stuff, but I've read that the guys on TV (Pang and Ward) were adamant it was a dirty play. Then all of a sudden, they changed their tune and both started insisting it was an accident.

Many "conspiracy theorists" believe the NHL contacted Bobby Mackenzie and "forced" them to change their tune so that the incident doesn't go viral.

I agree. There isn't one person I have seen on an NHL panel who has claimed this to be a dirty hit, when indeed it was.  The theme I hear is Cooke wasn't looking so he didn't know what he was doing, in a league where there's regular 'no look passes'. So these players are skilled enough to pass the puck through defenders and put it right on the tape without having to look, but they have to be looking at their skates to know where their feet are? Oh c'mon. He chops right down with his skate...Seems the NHL and media are more concerned with protecting players like Matt Cooke.... sucks to be an NHL fan these days.

:icon_agree: The "tone" of the major sports media changed distinctly from the time of the incident before the extent of the injury was known to what was being said once it was confirmed (by the end of the game) that it was an achilles laceration.  Had me scratching my head.

And, for me, Cooke's "look away" was like a player that throws his arms up with the "Who? Me?" look after they've slashed/hooked someone and knows that that the ref's arm is up because of it.  There is a decided 'stomp' down motion to his leg/foot and not simply a player's leg coming down to resume playing.  Sorry.  I've seen the replay likely at least fifty times now....while he likely did not do it with the expectation of lacerating the achilles, that weasel did intend to inflict some sort of pain. 

And all that crap about "oh, he's changed.  Shero and Lemieux told him he had to or else, blah, blah...."  Puh-leeeze!!  I even heard some sports writer on OTR say yesterday "Why would he fight Chris Neil if he didn't hurt Karlsson intentionally?"  SERIOUSLY!?!?  At the very least he KNEW that Karlsson was injured somehow on his reckless play.  The League deemed it "just a hockey play"....yeah, I suppose it was IF the player who does it is a weasel like Cooke 'cause that's just the way that p*ssy rolls, I guess.   :smily677:    :icon_angry2:

I agree with what Dean Brown said yesterday and reiterated today....Cooke's history DOES come into play here.  That was not an accident. And while the refs on the ice at the time could be excused for not making a call, the League has the benefit of not only repeated video replay at a variety of speeds but they darned well SHOULD be taking into account the "numbers on the back" of the player who perpetrated the injury.   :nod: :duh
"If you can't make up your mind, 'What the hell' is usually the right answer."  Ellen Reid Smith

Offline Sasquatch

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2013, 10:02:26 AM »
watch teh angle at the 40 second mark... He obvisouly is trying to take Karlsson down, He ALMOST succeeds as you see Karlssons leg fly up.
Just seems like the inevitable outcome of a dirty play + momentum when you look at it from the side view.

I DO NOT disagree that it was a dirty play, I just have my doubts that Cooke purposely stepped on Karlssons leg.

And to Rose's point, yes I agree that Cookes past should come into play here. He intended to try to slew foot while going into the boards and that is just not a safe play or one ANYONE should be trying to make.

Putting things into perspective, I'm no Matt Cooke fan by any means. Whereas Karlsson is one of my Fav players on my team.
I also hope someone would turn the tables on Cookes dirty plays and give him a taste for once.

But I get it, everyone is pissed and Cooke is a dirty player, no doubts about that. But saying this was Cooke's intended outcome is a tad extreme..

But, you know what, maybe Im wrong. Maybe Cooke did try to do this and he is in the Brashear/McSorely/Chris Simon category.
I just think if it wasn't Cooke people wouldn't be jumping to such certainty so easily.

Offline Sasquatch

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Some Heads Are Gonna Roll!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2013, 12:45:57 AM »
That's nice to see.

On a less cheerful note, another, much worse Achilles injury that happened to Kyle Wellwood's brother, Eric.

Warning: some blood involved in the picture...

http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/04/08/flyers-prospect-eric-wellwood-suffers-gruesome-skate-cut
"A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you donít need it"

Offline Sasquatch

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2013, 08:19:37 AM »
"Some" blood....... :icon_vomit:

Offline Jasonf6

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • The good 'ol days
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2013, 10:33:29 AM »