Author Topic: TSN will no longer carry NHL games  (Read 4608 times)

Offline Sasquatch

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
TSN will no longer carry NHL games
« on: November 26, 2013, 06:45:03 AM »
@TSNBobMcKenzie: TSN's national rights package for NHL games expires at end of this season and isn't being renewed. NHL to announce new CBC-Rogers deal Tues.

This really sucks...... I prefer tsn coverage to sportnet in a huge way....

Offline BlindDruid

• Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
Re: TSN will no longer carry NHL games
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 07:27:17 AM »
I dont subscribe to Sportsnet as any Sens games are blacked out here in the Kitchener area.   The loss of TSN hockey means I lose a good number of televised games that is usually above and beyon what  CBC airs. 
Time passes, things change, the Sens WILL WIN the CUP. 
edit -  Hopefully within my lifetime.......

Offline Sasquatch

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 08:30:44 AM »
Same here.
And as many of you know, I have complained about the SportsNet Sens channel ALSO blacking out games.

Hopefully this means they will no longer do that, but in any event, I enjoy TSN's coverage and analysts WAY more than Sportsnet.

The deal is a 12 year, 5.232 BILLION dollar deal !

« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 08:49:06 AM by Sasquatch »

Offline CrustyOldGuy

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 12:06:01 PM »
It appears regional blackouts will not happen anymore...if so, I am a happy camper.

In addition, the NHL says the agreement guarantees that there will be no further regionalization of games or local blackouts. Rogers has three exclusive windows to broadcast any game involving a Canadian team -- Wednesday nights, Saturday nights (including CBC) and Sunday nights.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/nhl-broadcast-deal-league-reaches-12-year-5-2b-agreement-with-rogers-1.1560824#ixzz2llwJ0OMY
Now that I am older, I thought it was great that I seemed to have more patience.  Turns out I just don't give a damn.

I don't have an attitude...I have a personality you can't handle!

Offline CrustyOldGuy

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 02:49:52 PM »
Now I am totally confused.  Is there a straight answer?  Will I be able to see televised Sens games down here in Leaf land, or not?  Will they still be blacked out like now?

TSN games I could see before, and Sportsnet was blacked out...sounds like everything has flipped?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=442467
Now that I am older, I thought it was great that I seemed to have more patience.  Turns out I just don't give a damn.

Offline UniCop

• Future Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 07:26:34 PM »
In short...if Sportsnet is showing the Sens, its a 'National' game and is not subject to territorial blackouts.

If its on TSN, its regional and will not be shown in Toronto.

As you said, things have flipped.

Offline UniCop

• Future Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 07:29:47 PM »
As additional info, there will be no TSN Sens channel, as there currently is for MTL and WPG.

TSN will be 'regionalizing' their feeds, so regional Sens games will be on the main TSN channel in Sens territory, while everyone else gets whatever else TSN was supposed to show that night.

Offline Sasquatch

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 09:07:44 AM »
This is a regional deal and should not affect anyone not in the Sens Region...

To me this works one of two ways...

1) Those NOT in the Sens regions will get to see the games on Sportsnet (likely having to pay extra for Snet East). The old Snet blackouts will be removed and they will show on these channels nationally.
If you ARE in the Sens region, I expect the blackouts on Snet will exsist and the games will be aired on TSN instead.

2) We are screwed. The games will all be on TSN (regionally) and not carried by Snet at all.

Offline CrustyOldGuy

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 01:44:14 PM »
This is a regional deal and should not affect anyone not in the Sens Region...

To me this works one of two ways...

1) Those NOT in the Sens regions will get to see the games on Sportsnet (likely having to pay extra for Snet East). The old Snet blackouts will be removed and they will show on these channels nationally.
If you ARE in the Sens region, I expect the blackouts on Snet will exsist and the games will be aired on TSN instead.
2) We are screwed. The games will all be on TSN (regionally) and not carried by Snet at all.
It appears regional blackouts will not happen anymore...if so, I am a happy camper.

In addition, the NHL says the agreement guarantees that there will be no further regionalization of games or local blackouts. Rogers has three exclusive windows to broadcast any game involving a Canadian team -- Wednesday nights, Saturday nights (including CBC) and Sunday nights.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/nhl-broadcast-deal-league-reaches-12-year-5-2b-agreement-with-rogers-1.1560824#ixzz2llwJ0OMY

I currently get Sportsnet East with Rogers, but every Sens game is blacked out. The other news article seems to suggest regionalization and local blackouts will be gone?

But I do agree Sasquatch...somehow, Sens fans in Leafland will get screwed... :sad :sad

Offline UniCop

• Future Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 03:54:34 PM »
For you Torontonians...

Basically, next year, if its on a Rogers-owned channel, (and you subscribe to it, i.e. SNE), you'll see the game. On their national game nights, Rogers has the ability to use all of their SN channels (regionals, ONE, and 360) plus City, and CBC on Saturday nights.  There will be a helluva lot of hockey on broadcast tv next year....

If its on TSN, you won't.

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Some Heads Are Gonna Roll!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2014, 12:49:55 AM »
The best way to look at it is that it doesn't change from this year and years past. Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday are national days. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday are regional days. This stays the same next year. The only difference is that games that are currently on Sportsnet (the regional games, blacked out outside of Ottawa) will be on TSN starting next year (also blacked out outside Ottawa). The national games currently on TSN and CBC will be on Sportsnet and CBC starting next year.
"A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you donít need it"

Offline CrustyOldGuy

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2014, 08:46:34 AM »
As long as I see more games, that's all that matters... :mrgreen:

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2014, 02:02:14 PM »
As long as I see more games, that's all that matters... :mrgreen:

I think the numbers will likely stay the same.
"A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you donít need it"

Offline CrustyOldGuy

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2014, 11:27:28 AM »
I think the numbers will likely stay the same.
:icon_banghead: :icon_banghead: :icon_banghead:

Offline CrustyOldGuy

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2014, 11:50:36 AM »

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2014, 02:05:08 PM »
I don't really care, to be honest. I have started watching more and more games on demand, so I just skip the intermissions.

Offline Sasquatch

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2014, 10:24:55 AM »
"Dream Team".... haha..... Who's dream would this be?

I'd replace most of them with the TSN guys.....

Offline stone169

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2014, 12:42:53 AM »
Does anyone know how this will affect NHL Gamecenter?  Currently it shows all the Sens games that are out of market on Sportsnet, but not on TSN.  I'm just wondering if it will be reversed for the new season.  It's been worth the money considering I'm currently in Sarnia.
There are good coaches and there are bad coaches, the real question is "Do you want this person to be a role model to your kids for the next 6 months".  That's the question you have to ask yourself.

Go Sarnia Jr. Sting Minor Midget MD!!!!!

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2014, 12:56:22 AM »
The rules are not network specific, only area specific. Whatever is considered a team's broadcast area is blacked out on Gamecenter/Center Ice

Sarnia, eh? Like it? I spent 2 years there and intend to move back sooner or later.

Offline stone169

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2014, 10:45:50 AM »
It's not a bad little city, but if you have kids who want to go somewhere in hockey, then Sarnia is not the place for you.  I've seen politics in minor hockey, but Sarnia takes the cake.  And the officiating is probably the worst I've ever seen.

The high school hockey is great though.
There are good coaches and there are bad coaches, the real question is "Do you want this person to be a role model to your kids for the next 6 months".  That's the question you have to ask yourself.

Go Sarnia Jr. Sting Minor Midget MD!!!!!