Author Topic: World Juniors  (Read 2887 times)

Offline BlindDruid

• Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
World Juniors
« on: December 26, 2013, 02:37:04 PM »
Canada wins their first game against Germany.  I hope its all uphill from there but I do so worry about the Swedes. 
Time passes, things change, the Sens WILL WIN the CUP. 
edit -  Hopefully within my lifetime.......

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Some Heads Are Gonna Roll!!!
    • View Profile
Re: World Juniors
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 07:30:51 PM »
I was not impressed at all by Canada today. Sure, they beat the Germans 7-2, but if they make the same mistakes against the US on Tuesday, they will get killed. And once they meet the stronger teams in the other group...
"A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you donít need it"

Offline psahlgren

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Stanley to Ottawa 2014-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 11:18:45 PM »
but I do so worry about the Swedes. 
You should  :P
The Swedes are on their home turf not that it means other teams cant win. Of course I hope my team wins but then again, may the best team win.

GO SWEDEN GO

"We feel we've been playing playoff hockey for a while now." - Andrew Hammond

Offline psahlgren

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Stanley to Ottawa 2014-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 11:20:05 PM »
I was not impressed at all by Canada today. Sure, they beat the Germans 7-2, but if they make the same mistakes against the US on Tuesday, they will get killed. And once they meet the stronger teams in the other group...
The swedes were not that impressive against the Swiss either

"We feel we've been playing playoff hockey for a while now." - Andrew Hammond

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 03:28:34 AM »
The swedes were not that impressive against the Swiss either

To be fair, for some weird reason the Swiss are always giving the top teams a hard time.
"A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you donít need it"

Offline Heater2

• Bingo Sen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 01:24:55 PM »
How about Curtis Lazar? Looks like a pretty good pick for us. Playing a very complete game at the world juniors and has been one of Canada's best players throughout the tournament.

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 05:37:48 PM »
Shameful display by the Canadians today. They weren't ready, plain and simple. Great game by the Fins and a deserving spot in the finals.

Maybe Canada and Russia can have a brawl to make things interesting. :)

Kidding aside, Hockey Canada needs to re-assess themselves. You don't send a checking line and an energy line to a best on best tournament. Gauthier? Leier? What about Peterson in goals? He's not even the best goalie in Saginaw, let alone better every other Canadian goalie in the CHL.

Oh well. Maybe they'll learn someday. This isn't 1995 anymore. There's more than just Russia and the occasional strong Swede, Finnish or Czech team.

On the bright side, Curtis Lazar looked good and was easily one of Canada's best player out there.

Offline Jasonf6

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • The good 'ol days
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 05:08:03 PM »
And Canada ends another year without a medal.  Definitely time for Hockey Canada to reassess. 

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 06:15:03 PM »
I don't always agree with Cherry, but he was bang on last night. Hockey Canada has become too politically correct. Select the best players, that's it.

Where was Connor Brown (leading OHL scorer) or Darnell Nurse (7th overall pick in 2013)? They didn't even get invites to the evaluation camp. I am not too familiar with either the WHL or the QMJHL, but I'm sure there's similar examples from those leagues as well.

Offline stone169

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2014, 06:53:05 AM »
I think that instead of being disappointed that the weakest team we've ever sent the WJC didn't win a medal, we should be impressed that they actually managed to finish 4th.
There are good coaches and there are bad coaches, the real question is "Do you want this person to be a role model to your kids for the next 6 months".  That's the question you have to ask yourself.

Go Sarnia Jr. Sting Minor Midget MD!!!!!

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 08:09:44 AM »
Some pretty strong words from Warren Rychel, one of the assistant coaches. A lot of fingers being indirectly pointed at Brent Sutter.

It was awful... it sucked, really. The team had no camaraderie. I don't know what the situation was there. Kids were playing out of position. We [Canada] were down two games, no line changes were made, we had guys playing centre, they were playing left wing. Connor McDavid didn't play. You put him in a shootout [against the Czech Republic after he had been benched in the third period] and he's ice-cold.

"There was really no camaraderie between the players in my personal opinion, as a hockey guy sitting there, whether it was my son or wasn't. But it didn't seem like the cards were in line for us to win a medal. So that's my honest opinion and maybe people disagree, but it just never seemed to feel confident, watching the team play with zip or play with zest. People say, 'well you have to play more physical' but you know how it's called over there ó as soon as you lay a finger on somebody the whole crowd yells, you're in the box.

"... It just didn't seem right from the start. We got what we deserved ó which was nothing.

" ... It was a lot of individual play by some guys who wouldn't move the puck at the proper time. You know, you can say you can have a big camp and everyone gets tired [or] you can have a small camp. I think, you have 10 '95 or younger born players. It's really a '94 tournament. Yeah, you bring [16-year-old] McDavid and [17-year-old defenceman Aaron] Ekblad. They're that good. After a while you've got to get some men in there that are 19 years old who can push people around and make plays.

"Whether it was a tune-up for next year or not, we bring so many '95s, people were saying back in Canada it's a tuneup for next year. In that case you should have brought [the London Knights'] Max Domi, in my opinion. We needed skill, we needed more things to happen when we got the puck. It just didn't happen."

Offline Jasonf6

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • The good 'ol days
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 09:04:37 PM »
Well, he's right.

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 12:46:24 AM »
I have to correct myself there. I don't think he was an assistant coach, just a dad watching his son play. However, one with a decent NHL career under his belt as well as the part-owner of the Windsor Spitfires.