Author Topic: Ottawa Visit  (Read 1283 times)

Offline CrustyOldGuy

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
Ottawa Visit
« on: February 15, 2015, 08:49:45 AM »
Not sure if this is the place for this...if not, please move it... :mrgreen:

Kids got us tickets to the Sens/Leafs game on March 21 as a Christmas present.  They also included one night at the Delta Ottawa City Centre.

Seats are in section 103, Row F.  I looked up the cost of these tickets, and plan on giving them sh*t for spending that much money!!

Anyhow...thinking of adding a couple of days to the trip.  Drive up from Oshawa on the 19th, and spend the 20th and 21st touring Ottawa.

Thinking of taking a bus from town out to the game, rather than driving.  Is this a good idea?

Hoping you guys can suggest things we should see while we are there.  No idea what the weather will be like, but how much can we see that's in walking distance?  We are 60+, but in reasonably good shape, so we can walk, but I don't plan on doing it, if it's -20... :shock:   

Guessing the parliament buildings would be something to see.  Also thinking a walk on the canal?  Thought about skating, but neither of us have skates, nor have we been on them for many, many years...not since our kids were small... :mrgreen:

Now that I am older, I thought it was great that I seemed to have more patience.  Turns out I just don't give a damn.

I don't have an attitude...I have a personality you can't handle!

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Some Heads Are Gonna Roll!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Ottawa Visit
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 11:08:09 PM »
Welcome to Ottawa. First time visitor?

Taking a bus from downtown would certainly be a good idea. The 400-series buses run straight to CTC on game days. However, if you plan (for some reason) to be in the Kanata area before rush hour traffic and don't mind spending about $15 on parking (not sure the exact cost) and are not in a rush to leave after the game, then driving isn't so bad.

I'm not very good at tourist stuff, so I'll leave that one to someone else. :)

As for walking/skating on the canal, unless you plan on bringing some scuba gear, it ain't happening at that date. :)
"A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you donít need it"

Offline CrustyOldGuy

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 01:48:08 PM »
Yup...first time in town...only lived in this country for 60+ years... :bag:

Probably would take the bus to the game.  Can't think of a reason to be in Kanata before the game.

Was thinking we would try to do most of the touristy stuff on foot, rather than by vehicle...will figure that out once we decide what we want to see.

Wasn't sure when the canal closed, but obviously it won't be open when we get there... :mrgreen:

Thanks MH! 
Now that I am older, I thought it was great that I seemed to have more patience.  Turns out I just don't give a damn.

I don't have an attitude...I have a personality you can't handle!

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Some Heads Are Gonna Roll!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 02:55:24 PM »
The canal usually closes late February / early March. Ottawa tends to get many above 0C days after that.
"A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you donít need it"

Offline BlindDruid

• Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 07:51:36 AM »
Mid March, to late for the winter activities and to early for the spring stuff like the tulip festival.  There is always the Museum of Civilization or War museum in you are into that kind of thing.  Both are excellent.  There is the Byward market downtown and usually there are some sort of maple sap/syrup type events going on somewhere in the region.  Elgin Street is full of great restaurants like Dunns deli if you like smoked meat.
Time passes, things change, the Sens WILL WIN the CUP. 
edit -  Hopefully within my lifetime.......