Author Topic: Do the Sens push for the playoffs?  (Read 12054 times)

Offline Broken Bones

• Public Relations Guy...
  • Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • I'm the pain in your ass...
    • View Profile
Do the Sens push for the playoffs?
« on: February 27, 2015, 08:12:52 AM »
Ok, so what a turn of events in the past week or so!

I attended the Sens/Habs game which Hammond made his starting debut.  Going into the game my friend and I were joking that the Sens were now on the tanking train and that the game would be a blow out.  Imagine our excitement as the game progressed and the Sens come out with the win!  The performance is then followed up with a win against the Panthers.

Start the Western road trip with back to back games against the Ducks and Kings, and you're thinking the team will be lucky to get out of California alive!  And what the heck does Hammond do?  Post two shutouts! :icon_bowdown2:

The Sens are now 5 points out of a playoff spot, games in hand on those teams above them.  While difficult to leapfrog and make up 5 points, it surely can't be impossible once you start to look at the stats of the above teams, being the record of their last 10 games and the goal differentials. 

Murray stated earlier he wanted a Top 6 forward, but not rental.  As the season progressed I am guessing he grew more patient and wanted to see what could be done in the summer.  Now given the position the team is in, will we see a trade before the deadline to help push for the playoffs?

It would be stupid for any owner/GM to suggest that a 5 point spread is too much to overcome when you still have 30 games remaining!

Offline BlindDruid

• Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
Re: Do the Sens push for the playoffs?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 12:26:37 PM »
Whatever they do I do not want to see a rental player.  That is to much disruption to the team in the long run. I think at this point that it is more important to start creating a core group of players that will improve with a supporting cast.
Time passes, things change, the Sens WILL WIN the CUP. 
edit -  Hopefully within my lifetime.......

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Some Heads Are Gonna Roll!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 02:02:21 PM »
Call me a pessimist, but I think the pressure is about to get to the team. It's easy to go out when there's no expectation, but as playoffs talk starts to get into the young players' heads, I think they will start to struggle.
"A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you donít need it"

Offline Broken Bones

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 02:40:15 PM »
Whatever they do I do not want to see a rental player.  That is to much disruption to the team in the long run. I think at this point that it is more important to start creating a core group of players that will improve with a supporting cast.

Based on Murray's comments earlier this season, I don't think he intends to get a rental player, but rather a player that still has term on his contract.  Seems Ottawa has trouble getting the attention of UFA's and based on a segment I heard last week on TSN 1200, Ottawa is one of the teams that is regularly seen on a players "do not trade list".

I have no issues if nothing is done and they try to make a push based on the current personnel, but then again, I also have no issues if a player is brought it that might have a future here.

Call me a pessimist, but I think the pressure is about to get to the team. It's easy to go out when there's no expectation, but as playoffs talk starts to get into the young players' heads, I think they will start to struggle.

That could be part of it.  But then I also look at the teams they have beaten, being Montreal, Anaheim, and Los Angeles, as an added bonus Florida is in there too in that they hold one of the spots above Ottawa.  Relaxed or not, the players still need to show up in order to compete against these top teams.

I only watched the first period of last nights game.  While I found they got hemmed into their own zone by LA for good periods of time, Ottawa was playing well positionally.  They didn't seem to be making the same mistakes that they were earliest this season that lead to turnovers.  Their issues more stemmed from the difficulty the encountered just to get the puck out of LA's possession.

Even if Ottawa ends up short and finishing in 9th or 10th, it is a good season.  Had they had a better start to the season, it's a sign they could make a push next year to make the playoffs.

As a fan the hard pill to swallow is this is no longer the team that will consistently make the playoffs and has the potential to go deep.  This is a team that is once again needing to earn their spot and then set goals each year afterwards to go deeper, ultimately to the finals.

Offline psahlgren

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Stanley to Ottawa 2014-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2015, 06:58:08 PM »
GO SENS GO   :ccclapping: :ccclapping: :ccclapping:
Hammonds third shutout tonight in San Jose  :spin: :spin: :spin: :drink:

"We feel we've been playing playoff hockey for a while now." - Andrew Hammond

Offline Broken Bones

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2015, 11:52:48 PM »
GO SENS GO   :ccclapping: :ccclapping: :ccclapping:
Hammonds third shutout tonight in San Jose  :spin: :spin: :spin: :drink:

IT WAS YOU!!!!!!   You just had to go and say SO didn't you? 

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2015, 02:46:48 AM »
Hammond is 5-0-0. Sens sweep California. They're still 7 points out of a playoffs spot. It's impossible to make up ground in this league.
"A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you donít need it"

Offline Broken Bones

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 09:36:49 AM »
Hammond is 5-0-0. Sens sweep California. They're still 7 points out of a playoffs spot. It's impossible to make up ground in this league.

Don't take away my hope!  I have a 6 year old constantly asking me when the Senators will win the Cup!  I have to explain that the Sens have to make the playoffs first (which she wants cause that means she goes to more games! - smart kid)

They remain 7 points out despite going 5-0 with Hammond. But they still have games in hand (on all teams in the East), and my understanding is they play Boston two more times this season.  Is it realistic?  No.  But is it possible?  Yes, and we're not talking unicorns here!

If Ottawa is able to improve their record by winning the games they have in hand, that increases their chances as they make the gap smaller.  Ottawa then can get right in the thick of things if they win any games remaining against those above them in the standings, particularly Boston, Florida, and Philly.

I don't have the time to spend to determine at what point Ottawa will "catch up" in terms of games played.  It will be then and only then will we know just how close or far they are to making the playoffs.

Offline psahlgren

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 02:43:56 PM »

IT WAS YOU!!!!!!   You just had to go and say SO didn't you? 
LOL well at least they won that's all that matters. Nice also Hammond getting recognition No.1 of the week

Offline psahlgren

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile

Offline Broken Bones

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
Re: Congrats Hammond
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2015, 03:51:48 PM »
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=756004#&navid=nhl-search

I saw that yesterday.  I believe it is the first time this season that an Ottawa Senator was named one of the weekly 3 stars.

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2015, 01:02:24 AM »
First star, yes. Both Anderson (Nov. 10) and Karlsson (Jan 26) got 2nd star honours.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_2014%E2%80%9315_NHL_Three_Star_Awards

Offline Broken Bones

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2015, 10:43:25 PM »
Ah, thanks for the info!

So MH, how are you feeling now?  With two games remaining against Boston this season, Ottawa has a very solid chance to make the playoffs if they manage to beat Boston those to games and get 1 more point than Boston for the remainder of the season.

I would say it would be more daunting if Ottawa didn't have these two games against Boston.  Ottawa is two points behind Florida with two games in hand, and 1 game remaining against them.

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2015, 12:54:49 AM »
I would love nothing more than be proven wrong. All I can say is that despite still thinking they will start faltering anytime now (the game against Buffalo has all the signs of being a disaster Friday), I am enjoying this run.

Offline BlindDruid

• Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2015, 07:45:26 AM »
This run certainly shows that they have potential.  A couple of key moves during the of season and they could be playoff contenders next year.  If they do make the playoffs it will make them that much more hungry for it next year as well.
Time passes, things change, the Sens WILL WIN the CUP. 
edit -  Hopefully within my lifetime.......

Offline Broken Bones

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2015, 10:02:38 AM »
I would love nothing more than be proven wrong. All I can say is that despite still thinking they will start faltering anytime now (the game against Buffalo has all the signs of being a disaster Friday), I am enjoying this run.

I am worried about Buffalo as well, on two fronts.  One, being the end of a long road trip, and the other, well being against Buffalo, a team lower than the basement in the standings.  At the same time though, it seems the last thing Buffalo actually wants to do is win games.  I know the players won't throw the game as they will need to show their own value to the team, but based on the trades they have made, they don't seem to be stepping out onto the ice with their best foot forward.

I won't be worried overall if they were to lose to Buffalo, as you can't win them all.  A much clearer picture will be painted following the games against Boston.

I don't expect a miracle to happen should they make the playoffs.  I feel this team needs that experience as a push for next year, and to start giving these younger guys the "taste" of the playoffs and something positive to build off of.

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2015, 12:52:24 PM »
I don't expect a miracle to happen should they make the playoffs.  I feel this team needs that experience as a push for next year, and to start giving these younger guys the "taste" of the playoffs and something positive to build off of.

Too many people tend to ignore this part. For a bunch of young players to lose their playoff virginity in a year they're not even supposed to be there is a big deal. There won't be those jitters should they make it again in the near future.

Offline Broken Bones

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2015, 03:54:19 PM »
I think many simply look back at the playoff run of a couple years ago, beating MTL and pushing NYR to game 7, that still could have gone in their favour.

Offline Broken Bones

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2015, 03:25:42 PM »
I am now getting nervous as it seems everything is coming down to the two games to be played against Boston.  I was hopeful that Ottawa would be able to gain some ground and come within 2-3 points of Boston before the first of the two remaining games.  Ottawa is currently 5 points out, and it would appear too difficult to come back from 7 points should they lose tomorrow.

The past week or so has been exciting to watch.  Not because the team has been winning, but because each game has had that Game 7 playoff feel to it. They have all been, and continue to be must wins!

Offline psahlgren

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2015, 12:48:17 PM »
I still have hopes, but for "Pete's sake" give Hammy the nod tonight against Habs and continue play him if we win. As I said in an earlier post I believe they should never have given Andy the nod in the first place. GA speaks for it self