Author Topic: Playoff talk  (Read 12700 times)

Offline CrustyOldGuy

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
Re: Playoff talk
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2015, 11:45:53 AM »
Hmmm...just got alerted that Anderson is starting... :smily677:
Now that I am older, I thought it was great that I seemed to have more patience.  Turns out I just don't give a damn.

I don't have an attitude...I have a personality you can't handle!

Offline Broken Bones

• Public Relations Guy...
  • Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • I'm the pain in your ass...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2015, 12:55:53 PM »
Are you kidding me!?    :duh :icon_angry2:

You'd think the guy that got you to the playoffs would have earned the right to run with it, after all, the playoffs are nothing but a bonus round!

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2015, 12:58:57 PM »
I heard that Anderson was the first goalie off the ice after the morning skate which usually signifies who is starting.  Gotta say, I'm a bit surprised.  Is Hammond nursing an injury? Hmmm... :smily677:

Ah, yes....youngsters presenting challenges every day.  It doesn't stop, BB, but I'm sure you can handle it.  We had an empty nest before the eldest decided to pursue her masters (Human Rights and Gender Studies) and likely will pursue her PhD after next year (she's been asked to go to Sweden to do so.....she seems to be in demand, as it were).  The middle left for Thailand three years ago now to work fulltime as a high school teacher at a private American School in Bangkok since there were no fulltime jobs available here when she graduated from Queen's with her teaching degree.  Canadian teachers are in huge demand overseas (due to the amount of education required to get their teaching degree) so she's made friends with young people from all over Canada who are teaching in Thailand, Hong Kong, Japan, Australia, etc.  She's visited 18 countries to this point during her vacations/breaks, although she does come home in the summer.  She is currently head of the English department at her school and coaches three of the teams.  She's loving it!  We spent six weeks with her this past winter, touring around the country while she was teaching and it was quite the experience.  The challenge we face with her is that when something goes wrong (ie an accident that tore her knee apart one day, etc.), it's very difficult to soothe her when she's literally on the other side of the world!  But Skype is our 'friend' overall.  And our youngest is working fulltime and currently sharing a condominium with a pal he has been friends with since they were in grade school.  They also attended Concordia University together and along with a bunch of their friends will be at the game tonight to cheer on the Sens!!

As will Hubby and I since we bought season tickets a couple of years ago.

GO SENS GO!!!!!!!!
"If you can't make up your mind, 'What the hell' is usually the right answer."  Ellen Reid Smith

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2015, 01:01:11 PM »
Are you kidding me!?    :duh :icon_angry2:

You'd think the guy that got you to the playoffs would have earned the right to run with it, after all, the playoffs are nothing but a bonus round!

I agree ^^.  :nod:   Not only because Hammond was the key factor in getting us there but also because, having heard it repeatedly, the players seem to "play harder" in front of him and have more confidence when he is in net.  It's not like they've been overwhelmed by Montreal.  Which, again, makes me wonder if he is nursing some sort of injury that would be worse than the rust that Anderson no doubt has to shake off!!   :shake: :smily677:
"If you can't make up your mind, 'What the hell' is usually the right answer."  Ellen Reid Smith

Offline Broken Bones

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2015, 03:08:44 PM »
Anderson is indeed starting tonight.  Crap.  Even if he gets the win, I don't like it, not one bit!

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Some Heads Are Gonna Roll!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2015, 04:49:38 PM »
4 of Hammond's 7 goals allowed were of the "bad" variety. And his reaction is not what it was (he would never react the way he currently is during the regular season). This is a major sign of a goalie who is mentally fragile.

Good call? Bad call? Time will tell but Hammond hasn't been himself these last 2 games (and many of the last 5+ games of the regular season).
"A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don’t need it"

Offline psahlgren

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Stanley to Ottawa 2014-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2015, 05:34:37 PM »
Coach says the only reason he is playing Andy is that whats gives our team the best chance to win. :duh
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 05:50:10 PM by psahlgren »

"We feel we've been playing playoff hockey for a while now." - Andrew Hammond

Offline psahlgren

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2015, 05:52:04 PM »
I had to take a pic of his reaction too.... Looked like he was gonna cry and lose his mind at the same time

Poor Kid, heard on TSN 1200 he was upset with this decision. Edmonton Stinks, no future there....

Offline psahlgren

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2015, 05:57:40 PM »
 :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Andy in nets?? Game/series is over  :icon_angry2: :icon_angry2: :icon_angry2:

Offline Dagwood

• SITE PHILOSOPHER
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2015, 06:37:39 PM »
LOL,

I figured I better pop in and complete the Seniors thread.  I'm leaning with MetalHawk, I think Hammy showed cracks last game for sure...the 1st game I'll say nerves.  Either way, we all know what Andy can do if he is on and I'm hoping his tenure as the backup reminded him of exactly what will happen if he doesn't step up as our Number 1. 

I also like the fact Neiler is back in.  He will cause Havoc in front of Price and you know for sure he will run anything that moves.  I think the push back starts tonight  :woohoo

If not, well....it's all house money as they say and our kids are getting some great friggin experience. So not all is lost.

As for McDavid, I thought the same thing...it was the look of "Oh shit" that came across loud and clear.
“Being politically correct....not my forte”

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2015, 10:21:30 PM »
And Anderson Hammond's this one. Lights out on a remarkable season.

When Ottawa punished Montreal every shift, they were in control. For most of the second and the third (and overtime), they let up the physical play and Montreal slowly but surely took over.

But Andy HAS to have that one. And what the hell was he doing on the tying goal?
"A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you don’t need it"

Offline Dagwood

• SITE PHILOSOPHER
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2015, 10:30:33 PM »
Well crap.  I think the boys just threw all they had at Price and still they fell short.  Oh well, no shame I suppose I like their fight but it's gonna be tough to come back from 3 down.  Hopefully we don't get swept, it would be a cruel end to a great run.   :laugh2:

“Being politically correct....not my forte”

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2015, 11:12:58 PM »
Well crap.  I think the boys just threw all they had at Price and still they fell short.

Can't say I agree. Way too much pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass, shoot -> blocked, especially on the PP.

Offline Broken Bones

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2015, 06:52:18 AM »
I am with MH on this one.  And the chances they got on the rush were fumbled by their own actions.  Puck bobble following too much stick handling, tripping over their own feet, etc.

The officiating didn't help.  14 PP minutes for Montreal to Ottawa's 4 PP minutes.  That is not reflective as to how the game was played.  A number of trips by Montreal went uncalled, other infractions such as holding and interference in front of Price were uncalled whereas when it was in front of Anderson, the refs hawk eyes.

I will say this to Habs fans.  Many of them are suggesting Ottawa doesn't deserve to be in the playoffs, yet if this is true, neither does Pittsburgh and Boston certainly wouldn't if Ottawa were out.  While Montreal is now 3-0, all games have been 1 decided by a single game.  If you can only beat a team that "doesn't deserve to be there" by a single goal, it is time to take a moment of reflection to see just how you match up against other teams.

Offline Sasquatch

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2015, 07:07:47 AM »
I also agree with MH... If they could have sustained the play from the first period I think the outcome would have been different. The second and third/ot was nowhere near the intensity of the first.

The quality of shots price had to face was pretty poor imo. Then lanes were clear and most went right into his chest. The two big glove saves were more showmanship than gamesavers. There was WAY too much passing going on. Again, My gf was watching and said "do they think they're gonna score passing so much?"

I thought Anderson played really well. The last one was pretty rough though. Bad bounde off the glass and then just snuck in and hit the bar perfectly.

I'll add to the assessment of the habs fans, poorest winners I have her seen. I mention it was a pretty exciting game, I get met with a whole crap load of swearing and homophobic slurs.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 08:32:25 AM by Sasquatch »

Offline BlindDruid

• Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2015, 10:40:48 AM »
Always the optimist I do believe that the Sens have the ability to still win this series.  Is it likely?  Probably not.  But they could do it.  The Habs will come out cocky and full of self-confidence.  They will be a bit more laid back.  The Sens need to keep pushing strong, crash Price at every opportunity and keep hitting bodies hard.  They need to destroy the Habs and demolish PK so that his emptions get in the way in game 4 leaving them shaking in game 5.  In games 6 and 7 the Habs will be in panic mode and will be overthinking and overplaying everything.  I can daydream right?
Time passes, things change, the Sens WILL WIN the CUP. 
edit -  Hopefully within my lifetime.......

Offline Broken Bones

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2015, 10:42:12 AM »
HABS fans are poor winners and losers, it's as simply as that.  Add to that for some reason they feel their players shouldn't be allowed to be hit.  The number of "boos" for no penalty calls following solid clean hits by Ottawa astounds me.  No other team does this but Montreal, and unfortunately it does seem to impact the officials at least when they are playing in Montreal.

Offline Broken Bones

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2015, 10:44:53 AM »
Always the optimist I do believe that the Sens have the ability to still win this series.  Is it likely?  Probably not.  But they could do it.  The Habs will come out cocky and full of self-confidence.  They will be a bit more laid back.  The Sens need to keep pushing strong, crash Price at every opportunity and keep hitting bodies hard.  They need to destroy the Habs and demolish PK so that his emptions get in the way in game 4 leaving them shaking in game 5.  In games 6 and 7 the Habs will be in panic mode and will be overthinking and overplaying everything.  I can daydream right?

I am with you BD.  This isn't a series where I believe Ottawa has been so badly outplayed that they deserve to be down 3-0.  The team is still young and is bound to make mistakes.  The frustrating part of it all is the long periods of time which Ottawa tends to get caught running around in its own end.  There are many times I see the players choosing to stand still/glide towards the direction of the puck along the boards rather than skating in effort to win the foot race.  It is as if they are choosing to continue to defend the pressure rather than be a little aggressive to relive the pressure and clear the zone.

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2015, 02:08:39 PM »

I am with you BD.  This isn't a series where I believe Ottawa has been so badly outplayed that they deserve to be down 3-0.  The team is still young and is bound to make mistakes.  The frustrating part of it all is the long periods of time which Ottawa tends to get caught running around in its own end.  There are many times I see the players choosing to stand still/glide towards the direction of the puck along the boards rather than skating in effort to win the foot race.  It is as if they are choosing to continue to defend the pressure rather than be a little aggressive to relive the pressure and clear the zone.

Wiercioch and Gryba shouldn't be anywhere an NHL team's top-6 defensemen. And Ceci is still young, and prone to the odd, but costly bonehead play.

And I expect an announcement of a major surgery for Ryan again this summer. Something is seriously wrong with him.

Offline Broken Bones

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2015, 03:46:48 PM »
And that in part is why I am not terribly dissapointed with an elimination in Round 1.  I don't want to see them get swept for their own pride and so that Habs fans can't boast that at least.  This is a young team, one that was not expected to make the playoffs following their start.  It isn't so much that the team itself is "bad" (See Edmonton for that example), but rather a young and inexperience team.  Some pieces, as you point out, need to be addressed and improved on.

My only hope going forward is that the team actually get some stability behind the bench.  The last thing I want is for Cameron to get off to a shaky start next season and not recover and ultimately fired.  Too many coaches have had to be let go since Murray became GM, that is my No. 1 criticism of Murray/Melnyk is their inability to hire a coach that fits their needs on a long term basis.