Author Topic: Chris Phillips retires  (Read 1826 times)

Offline Bender

• Future Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
Chris Phillips retires
« on: May 27, 2016, 07:48:07 PM »
http://ottawacitizen.com/sports/hockey/nhl/senatorsextra/chris-phillips-expected-to-announce-his-retirement-from-senators

Phillips was a defensive pillar for so many years. A class act all the way and a warrior for this team. It's sad to see him retire because of an injury, considering he put together an Ironman streak a few years ago. Between 2006 and 2013, he only missed 3 games!!

Sad to see another player from those 1990's/early 2k's sens teams ride off in the sunset. Phillips has been a Senator since I was a young kid. Now, only Neil remains as the last of the mohicans from that era  :sad Philly was a leader and he will be missed. Hopefully he stays in the organization in another role.

Thank you Big Rig!
« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 07:51:26 PM by Bender »

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Some Heads Are Gonna Roll!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Chris Phillips retires
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 10:15:21 PM »
It was said at the press conference that Chris will stay with the organization in some alumni role. Probably ribbon cutting and stuff like that.

That Chara-Phillips combo is still probably the best defense pairing in Sens history.
"A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you donít need it"

Offline Billy_Muckwalt

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 08:35:25 AM »
I have just quickly scan read some articles and it appears no one talks about the Phillips \ A Train pairing. I found that the be just as effective as the Chara pairing.  The end of an era.
Luongo sucks.

Offline Metalhawk

• Head-Bangin'-
  • Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Some Heads Are Gonna Roll!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 02:02:49 PM »
Almost as effective from a defensive standpoint, but lacking any offensive capabilities. When those two are in your top-4 and you're trailing in a game, it's still difficult to justify leaving them on the bench and icing your #5 and 6 guys more.
"A bank is a place that will lend you money if you can prove that you donít need it"

Offline Billy_Muckwalt

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 09:07:00 PM »
In the playoffs... with the exception of maybe 2 years in the 20+ year history,  it didnt matter who you played. They were toast. P  I dropped my seasons tickets to this sad sack club 5 years ago. The leafs will win a cup before these losers will.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 09:17:15 PM by Billy_Muckwalt »
Luongo sucks.