Author Topic: JASON!!!!!!!  (Read 4319 times)

Offline JustLearning

• Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
    • Administrator
JASON!!!!!!!
« on: May 19, 2003, 11:12:29 PM »
JASON - Why did it take them so long to put you in the game?[/b]

WAY TO GO NUMBER 39!!!!!

The Ottawa Senators. My Dream Team.
Die Senatoren von Ottawa. Das Team meiner Träume.
I'm really going to miss you A-Train  :byebye:

Offline Docawesome

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Sensnet mob
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ESPN.com
JASON!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2003, 11:30:26 PM »
Because Jaques has a HUGE ego thats why. It was a dream game.
I could not have imagined a better playoff debute for Spezza. What gave me goose bumps though is when he was announced the first star and was trying his best not to smile but he couldn't do it and he cracked a smile. I love Spezza.  :lol:  :lol:

doc

"The upper class: keeps all of the money, pays none of the taxes.  The middle class: pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.  The poor are there...just to scare the shit out of the middle class."

Offline Dagwood

• SITE PHILOSOPHER
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
JASON!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2003, 11:36:42 PM »
That is a pretty incredible first NHL Playoff appearance for a rookie.  :D
I hope he got to keep the puck.

You got goose bumps Doc?  Man, try being in the stands when 18.500 people start chanting "SPEZZA, SPEZZA, SPEZZA"  :D  :D  :D

That kid is a freak, LOL.  I hope he stays in the lineup and I am happy that Martin finally listened to the people.  I am not putting all our hopes on this kid but he adds that extra dimension to the game that makes everyone around him better.  Brodeur didn't stand a chance on his goal.
The nice thing about Spezz, he keeps his stick on the ice.
“Being politically correct....not my forte”

Offline JustLearning

• Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
    • Administrator
JASON!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2003, 11:38:40 PM »
Jason's a great kid - what's not to love. He's talented, modest, talented, fast, talented, smart, talented, and might I add TALENTED!!!

Maybe they'll add his room-mate, Rob Ray for the next game. That would be interesting!  Maybe what NJ needs is a couple of Sens that they've rarely played before to set them off their game! You never know, it might work.

The Ottawa Senators. My Dream Team.
Die Senatoren von Ottawa. Das Team meiner Träume.
I'm really going to miss you A-Train  :byebye:

Offline sensfan2513

• Future Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
Re: JASON!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2003, 12:25:03 AM »
Quote from: justlearning
JASON - Why did it take them so long to put you in the game?[/b]

Quoth Bill Clement:
"Where the hell has this kid been all playoffs?!"

Gotta admit, that was pretty candid for ESPN...  :D

Offline rakembaggemcurbem

• Draft Pick
    • View Profile
JASON!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2003, 01:22:14 AM »
Quote from: Dagwood
That is a pretty incredible first NHL Playoff appearance for a rookie.  :D
I hope he got to keep the puck.

The nice thing about Spezz, he keeps his stick on the ice.

Ya! All 12 feet of it  :lol:

You guys were all right about Spezza... he's the man!

Offline Athym

• Draft Pick
    • View Profile
JASON!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2003, 01:39:00 AM »
Someone fill me in..  Why is he not in the line since day 1???  Sure beats Chara's level of game intensity as a comparably tree giant.

He's playing 10 minutes, wins 88% faceoffs.  Won the last one and scored off the winning faceoff.  there's sometihng I'm missing here in the coaching department.

Offline sensrbest

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
JASON!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2003, 08:35:31 AM »

This is what hockey lore is made of.

Jason comes through!!!

Offline Nevermore

• Bingo Sen
    • View Profile
JASON!!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2003, 08:56:03 AM »
I agree with the decision to play him at this point (who can argue with the results ??????!!!!) or in game 4 they probably could have played him. However, I think they've done the right thing holding him out until this point. They have nothing left to lose right now so there's little pressure on him if he screws up or something bad happens to him on the ice. He's 19 and if he messed something up in game 2 of the Isles series and they go on to lose because of that game, he may have come away from the experience unable to ever acheive his true potential. I've seen scores of great looking rookies in the NBA, NFL and MLB damaged for the rest of their career because they had a bad game or two when they were put into a game while they were 19 or 20.

That all being said.... GO SPEZZA GO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--Ryan

Offline DallasSENSFan

• Hall of Fame Inductee
    • View Profile
JASON!!!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2003, 09:00:25 AM »
Quote from: Athym
Someone fill me in..  Why is he not in the line since day 1???  Sure beats Chara's level of game intensity as a comparably tree giant.

He's playing 10 minutes, wins 88% faceoffs.  Won the last one and scored off the winning faceoff.  there's sometihng I'm missing here in the coaching department.

Great questions! I'm sure Jacques will have good answers for all of them when he starts backpeddling and playing the "bring the kid along slowly" card!

He played well! The faceoffs that he won really helped us!
16 playoff wins=Holy Grail.....Sens 2006...Can't wait to pad the stats against the Blues!

Offline puckhead

• Draft Pick
    • View Profile
JASON!!!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2003, 09:50:41 AM »
Oh when exactly would you have put him in?

Aftere beating the Isles 4-1 or the FLyers 4-2

After game 3 they were only down 2-1 in the series and barely lost game 3 1-0.  There was no logical reason to put him in before.

Hind sight is 20-20.

Offline vspeed

• Draft Pick
    • View Profile
JASON!!!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2003, 10:11:46 AM »
I totally agree that Jason's performance would not have been the same had he been in earlier. This was a 'nothing left to lose' scenario, which was exactly the right moment for him to go in and shine.
Good for him, and good for Jacques for recognizing the opportunity.

Offline DallasSENSFan

• Hall of Fame Inductee
    • View Profile
JASON!!!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2003, 10:34:39 AM »
Quote from: puckhead
Oh when exactly would you have put him in?

Aftere beating the Isles 4-1 or the FLyers 4-2

After game 3 they were only down 2-1 in the series and barely lost game 3 1-0.  There was no logical reason to put him in before.

Hind sight is 20-20.

Your right, hindsight is 20-20! I would have inserted him after the first game of this series! Hindsight is 20-20 remember!

Your also right that this was the logical game for him to be inserted!
16 playoff wins=Holy Grail.....Sens 2006...Can't wait to pad the stats against the Blues!

Offline jesusfreak5311

• NHL Rookie
    • View Profile
JASON!!!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2003, 10:59:11 AM »
I had goosebumps too when they announced him as first star, and I was just watching it on tv.  It would have been great to be at the game.  I was supposed to go but my friend backed out on me.

It was funny how in the pre-game interviews both Redden and Spezza himself said that they weren't expecting him to be the saviour.

Offline DallasSENSFan

• Hall of Fame Inductee
    • View Profile
JASON!!!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2003, 11:42:57 AM »
I can't wait for the encore Wed. night!

BTW, any news on Hossa's injury? What is it? His back?

Offline SensSmaq

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
JASON!!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2003, 12:05:51 PM »
Here's the way I see the Spezza decision.

I really think the decision to put Spezza in came from Muckler. Martin seems to like to bring rookies down to earth and not inflate their egos too much. He calls it being "patient" but sometimes it borders on jeolousy. I honestly think Martin hates the amount of press coverage Spezza gets when he plays and that is why Martin has brought him along slowly.

Look at the CBC broacast last night, it was all Spezza. Every chance they had to talk about him they did, even after the game they stayed with the on ice 3-stars presentation (something they normally cut away to commercial during) just to show Spezza skate out on the ice to accept the first star. Cherry couldn't shut up about him and even in the post game interviews every question was about Spezza...asking Spezza about Spezza, asking Lalime about Spezza, asking Martin about Spezza.

Personally I love it. The more I see Spezza the more the Ca$$hin trade seems like highway robbery. I think Muckler, as a GM who is more concerned with business/marketing side of things, likes to see all the attention Spezza gets, as do most fans. Martin, as a coach who likes to keep egos in check and promote a team concept, doesn't like all the attention. I think as of last night Martin no longer has a choice in the matter, Spezza must play, and that includes next year where the Sens will HAVE to find a spot for him in the line-up.

Click above to check out my new blog.

Offline OS

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • MacLean is Really Good!
    • View Profile
JASON!!!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2003, 12:16:36 PM »
Funny how Bob Cole is always able to pick Spezza out of the crowd....

Offline Jenn_#11fan

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Havlat Always <3
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal - Online Oasis
JASON!!!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2003, 01:01:33 PM »
I'm just sooooo happy for him! 19 = amazing! I'm 19! It's just so unbelievable that someone my age is just so talented and able to go and play a NHL conference final hockey game with a TON of pressure. Wonderful stuff.

I was happy when they announced he was playing. Being there to see the goal, be chanting his name along with the crowd, was all good. Just as long as it doesn't go to his head ;) But I'm not worried about that, he's seems very level-headed from everything I can see. :D It's all very exciting!

Offline DrDemento

• Bingo Sen
    • View Profile
JASON!!!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2003, 01:24:42 PM »
:? I feel for Don Cherry. Tough guy Neil out, his favorite Spezza in.
"The Sky is Falling" C. Little

Offline Skeets_The_Sen

• Draft Pick
    • View Profile
JASON!!!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2003, 03:39:01 PM »
I was the original Spezza Fan man,  so jump on my Spezza bandwagon cos im driving it all the ay to the cup baby.

I SUPPORTED HIM WHILE HE WAS IN THE MINORS WHEN PEOPLE HARDLY KNEW HIM, I KNEW THE TALENT WAS THERE AND NOW MY CHILDREN YOU ALL CAN SEE!!!

DIE HARD Spezza FAN

Spezza Bandwagon "all aboard, Next stop Stanley Cup  Station in approximatly One Year"