Author Topic: Official Lalime Watch PLAYOFF EDITION.......(Vol. 4:Mar.25+)  (Read 60739 times)

Offline crazypiper

• Bingo Sen
    • View Profile
Official Lalime Watch PLAYOFF EDITION.......(Vol. 4:Mar.25+)
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2004, 02:39:30 PM »
i think that theory is a bunch of garbage, and that you should go jump on the bandwagon like everyone else - its easy to blame a goalie for everything thats why most people blame lalime try actually watching the games and looking at the defense and offenses mistakes instead of just lalimes

Offline BingoSensFan

• NHL Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2004, 02:46:12 PM »
The offense is full of holes and yet it leads the entire league in goals.  I agree with the plcamp theory.  It's hard to get it going when you watch your goalie give up goals on what weren't even scoring chances.  Lalime is an average goaltender who is hot right now.  How long the hot streak lasts will determine how far the Sens go, IMO.  He was also hot at the beginning of this horrible season.

Offline SENSfreak_03

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2004, 03:03:16 PM »
i dont believe this whole sens score less when lalime is in nets. we score less when whoever the goalie is, when the goalie doesnt seem to be on his game, no matter who it is. they tend to try and be more defensive. it just seems like its lalime because he has had more poor games then prusek. last nite vs montreal, he was on fire and the team therefore had confidence and opened it up. when he doesnt play well we dont score as much, same with prusek tho.

Offline jubejubed

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2004, 03:29:07 PM »
Lalime was great last night, no question he earned his shutout. He got lucky on a few shots yes, but he looked sharp out there most of the night. He didn't play the puck as much outside the crease, and when he did he didn't give the puck away so that was good to see. It's great to see that his confidence is slowly starting to come back. Now if he can just put a few great games together and get his consistancy back then I'll be really happy.

Offline crazypiper

• Bingo Sen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2004, 04:15:55 PM »
it just seems like its lalime because he has had more poor games then prusek

Lalime has more poor games yes, hes played 56 so far while prusek has played 24...  and also do  not forget, most goalies everyone seems to compare lalime to are veterans... Lalime is in his 6th season hes still a young goalie so give him some time... if everyone didnt have such high expectations this year then maybe people wouldnt be so critical of him

Offline i luv havlat

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
    • NHLHOTTOPICS
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2004, 04:21:58 PM »
Just wanted to say i think Lalime had an awesome game last night. There was only one time that i can remember that they had him beat (thank god for the goal post!)Anywayz, he seems to be gaining more confidence and feeling more comfortable from the looks of things, hope he keeps it up.

Offline S.P.Q.R.

• Bingo Sen
  • High Five!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2004, 04:40:21 PM »
There is very few NHL coverage on Polish TV (mainly Islanders games because of Czerkawski... arghh) so here's my question to you:
Was last night game the best Lalime played this season?
A SO with 29 saves sounds pretty good!

Offline Bonzai

• Administrator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2004, 04:43:30 PM »
Quote from: S.P.Q.R.
There is very few NHL coverage on Polish TV (mainly Islanders games because of Czerkawski... arghh) so here's my question to you:
Was last night game the best Lalime played this season?
A SO with 29 saves sounds pretty good!

In my opinion it was his best game in quite a while.  My fingers are crossed that he continues that tomorrow night as well

Cheers

Offline kjs

• Hall of Fame Inductee
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2004, 04:54:44 PM »
Quote from: BingoSensFan
The offense is full of holes and yet it leads the entire league in goals.  I agree with the plcamp theory.  It's hard to get it going when you watch your goalie give up goals on what weren't even scoring chances.  Lalime is an average goaltender who is hot right now.  How long the hot streak lasts will determine how far the Sens go, IMO.  He was also hot at the beginning of this horrible season.

See my response to PLC (to follow) for further rebuttal of his theory.

(1)  I did not say the offence is full of holes.  I said that the "deflation" theory is full of holes if it's presented as a general account of what's wrong with the offence this year.

(2)  "And yet it leads the entire league in goals".  No kidding.  I explicitly said in this message that overall the offensive production was good, and that this wasn't our problem -- it was day-to-day offensive inconsistency.  Furthermore, in the post just prior to this one (in the "What's Missing?" thread) I explicitly cited the fact that the Sens were on pace to score as many goals as last year -- in a year where overall league goal-scoring is down (it's good enough for 1st in the league as opposed to only 3rd last year) -- as an argument against the idea that our problems stemmed primarily from other teams having learned to concentrate on defence against us and making scoring a lot tougher.

(3)  I'm glad you too think that Patty's on a good streak right now.  Minus his stickhandling nightmares against Boston, he's played with much greater confidence and competence since the trading deadline, IMO.  I agree with all the sceptics that we'll wait and see how long this lasts.  But look at the problems for your argument.  The Sens' offence has been miserable recently:  last night's game was the first in 2.5 weeks in which the Sens managed to score 3 goals or more (6 straight with 2 or fewer).  Guess when their last 3+ game was? -- you got it, the day before the trading deadline.  Some people on this board have bemoaned the fact that just as Lalime heats up, the rest of the team is tanking.  Doesn't bear well on the plcamp theory, now, does it?

Offline Nolan_18

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • I'm kind of a big deal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2004, 07:04:59 PM »
Lalimes whole season is a lot like Jose Theodores season last year.  He HAS been improving steadily since the trade deadline.  His game in Boston was actually not bad...EXCEPT THE TWO TERRIBLE GOALS!!
Everybody say 'Oh Yea-yer'

And No!  I'm not a Leafs or Owen Nolan fan!

Offline Paddy

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2004, 07:07:00 PM »
Quote from: Metalhawk
Last night was a prime example of what happens when the goalie makes the stops. The team feels confident and will go score the goals. I believe 2 of Ottawa's goals came less than a minute after a big save by Lalime.

And like I (and a few others) have stated for months now, when Lalime screws up, the team is deflated, in panic and will not play well. So Lalime has a huge responsability and letting in softies has much more of an impact than some here admits. Many Lalime die-hards will say: "It's only one bad goal, why can't the team turn around and score one too". The reason they can't is that they'll feel they can't trust Lalime and will try to do too much, hence messing up sooner or later. Last night was a good example of the other way around...

Thanks for saving me the typing. :thumbsup:  because I couldn't have said it better myself. When he makes big saves it is as inspirational as it is deflating when he lets in a weak goal.

I personally think that a big advantage to this is that he has played brutal for most of the year so he has essentially lowered the bar on the expectations of his performances. As a result he may not have to be the best goalie in the playoffs to win as long he plays well or okay the team will be inspired.
:bag: :redribbon: :redribbon: :redribbon:

Offline Bender

• Future Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2004, 07:30:31 PM »
Look, if you and I were standing by the side of a road and witnessed a train hit a truck, it would not be credible for you to claim that the train did not hit the truck. We were there and we saw it. It DID hit the truck.

It is EXACTLY the same with Lalime. The FACT is that the Ottawa Senators score dramatically fewer goals when Lalime plays than when Prusek plays. Just liek the train hitting the truck, you simply cannot deny the fact that the Sens score less when Lalime plays.

So the Sens offensive problems DEFINITELY relate to Lalime. You can debate why that's true, buit you cannot deny that it is true. The stats are there, and they do not lie.

Lalime is a bad goaltender and his tendency to give up the early lead causes the Sens opponents to be in a position (with the lead) to stifle Sens offence. THAT explains the data and THAT illustrates how offensive problems do boil down to Lalime's unbelievably poor play.

Quote:
As a general account of what's wrong with the Sens' offence ...

Ironic you shoudl say that, because the data proves without any doubt that it is GENERALLY true that the Ottawa Senators have a weaker offence when Lalime plays. This, coupled with the fact the Sens lead the league in offence (because of their play when lalime isn't in nets) shows there is nothing wrong EXCEPT Lalime!

How do you like that theory?

Holy Sh.. ... i don't think i've ever read so muuch bullsh.. in one reply.

You know what...  you are in the category of fans who are the biggest problem to this team. You dont see it, do you? The team plays like clowns, and still, Lalime gets the blame. I remember a conversation where a Lalime supporter said,about tusday night,:'' Yes, Lalime made 2 mistakes, but also made some HUGE saves and the team was absent so it did not make any difference. You're just to biaised in your hate-Lalime vision to see it.'' The Lalime-hater replied that he was too biaised in his love-Lalime vision that he could not see he was the reason for all the team's problems and Blablabla...he even said that the sens could have won the game against Boston... wow, if that is not biaised... Even the idea that they could have got a freakin point in that game was a joke. U have to be insane to think the team was good that night. It was a total circus. One of the worst game of the season. But of course, it's only Lalime's fault. And of course, (according to lalime-haters), they could have won the game with that effort.

You Lalime haters make me sick. You just dont have the guts to blame the whole team for playing like sh.. lately and you just bash Lalime. Oh, but wait... they are too good, THEY cant be blamed for anything. It's your little awesome, your little perfect team. There cant be anything wrong with them. So can say to Lalime-supporters that they are too biaised in their '' support-Lalime'' vision, but YOU are too biaised in your '' Love the little perfect team'' vision.

You can say that Brown and Millen are always kissing lalime's ass. But YOU Keep kissing Alfie, Bondra and everyone else's asses, and never blame them for any of their loss. I mean, they dont complain about it. They know that if they play bad, the public will blame Lalime and the pressure will only be on Lalime.
Yeah, go on, Lalime haters. You are really helping this team right now.

Offline Docawesome

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Sensnet mob
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ESPN.com
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2004, 03:25:37 AM »
Quote from: plcamp
I just don't agree with the theory that all of the team's problems -- even its offensive problems -- boil down to Lalime.

Look, if you and I were standing by the side of a road and witnessed a train hit a truck, it would not be credible for you to claim that the train did not hit the truck. We were there and we saw it. It DID hit the truck.

It is EXACTLY the same with Lalime. The FACT is that the Ottawa Senators score dramatically fewer goals when Lalime plays than when Prusek plays. Just liek the train hitting the truck, you simply cannot deny the fact that the Sens score less when Lalime plays.

ditto

Like him or not Pierre McGuire did not become an NHL coach by chance, he said the exact same thing. It is FACT. The numbers show it. The players are nervous with Lalime in net, they're afraid of making mistakes because they know if they do, the puck will likley will end up in their own net. Its fact, not speculation.

"The upper class: keeps all of the money, pays none of the taxes.  The middle class: pays all of the taxes, does all of the work.  The poor are there...just to scare the shit out of the middle class."

Offline JAY-MAN

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2004, 05:30:07 AM »
I think he has also steadily been improving, now with such a great game i hope he stays hot all playoffs. I also still believe he is a great goalie, Remember Eddie Belfours last season in Dallas before he came to Toronto?  Terrible, and Remember Last year Theodore had a bad year, and thats my point, and if Lalime stays like this we are fine
its about skill,grit,determination and goaltending but most of all its about heart.

Offline kjs

• Hall of Fame Inductee
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2004, 07:48:04 AM »
I just don't agree with the theory that all of the team's problems -- even its offensive problems -- boil down to Lalime.

So the Sens offensive problems DEFINITELY relate to Lalime. You can debate why that's true, buit you cannot deny that it is true. The stats are there, and they do not lie.

Lalime is a bad goaltender and his tendency to give up the early lead causes the Sens opponents to be in a position (with the lead) to stifle Sens offence. THAT explains the data and THAT illustrates how offensive problems do boil down to Lalime's unbelievably poor play.

As a general account of what's wrong with the Sens' offence ...

Ironic you shoudl say that, because the data proves without any doubt that it is GENERALLY true that the Ottawa Senators have a weaker offence when Lalime plays. This, coupled with the fact the Sens lead the league in offence (because of their play when lalime isn't in nets) shows there is nothing wrong EXCEPT Lalime!

How do you like that theory?

Where to begin?

Your train-truck analogy is just silly.  I have not "seen" Lalime's poor play this year cause the Sens' offensive production to slow down.  If indeed this is the kind of thing one "sees", then the seeing in question is sure as heck much more complex, more multi-factorial, and infinitely more open to dispute and different interpretations than that of watching a train hit a truck.  Plus, you're comparing a one-time event with a phenomenon that supposedly is happening throughout an entire regular season.  "It is EXACTLY the same with Lalime."  Nonsense.

The FACT is that the Ottawa Senators score dramatically fewer goals when Lalime plays than when Prusek plays.

"Dramatically" seems to me, well, melodramatic.  The statistical averages for the year-to-date are as follows:

Lalime:  3.11 (171 GF in 55 games)
Prusek:  3.33 (78 GF in 21 games)

The "dramatic" difference is 0.22 goals/game.  Over the 77 games Ottawa has played so far this year, this would have been the difference between 1st and 3rd (almost 2nd) overall in team scoring.

(BTW, 3rd in league scoring doesn't sound like terrible "offensive problems", now, does it?)

Now this just does not follow.  These are two statistical averages that you are comparing.  They are not goaltending performance statistics -- they are averages of team offence, which you've decided to partition according to which goaltender is in nets in a given game.  One average is moderately higher than the other.  You cannot say that this difference alone demonstrates that "the Sens offensive problems definitely relate to Lalime".  In fact, the statistical difference on its own demonstrates absolutely nothing.  You simply cannot derive a causal statement out of a statistical generalisation alone.  Conveniently you pretend to concede this by saying "you can debate why that's true", but then distinguish this from the "fact" that it is true, which you claim is undeniable.  In fact the two can't be separated.  Unless you have independently established that there is some meaningful cause (or set of causes) underlying the difference, and what that cause is, you simply have no basis whatsoever for claiming that it's true that "the Sens' offensive problems relate to Lalime".  To do so is to assume precisely what you're supposed to be explaining.

I hate the expression "the stats do not lie".  On their own, stats say nothing:  they're just a bunch of numbers.  You can correlate any two things on the face of this planet -- doesn't mean the resulting numbers mean anything.  Your imagination is the only limit on the number of different ways you could partition the Sens' GF numbers:  you could divide them up according to which jerseys or which skates they wear, or days of the week they play on, or whether most of the Sens had shaven that day.  And no doubt there would be differences between the averages you derived.  It is a different question entirely whether a given statistic actually represents something -- e.g. an underlying, regular phenomenon.

And in this case you definitely need an argument to make that case.  Because on the face of things, a team's GF is something that has very little to do with goaltending.  It's not as if we're analysing goals-against here, in which goalies are clearly and integrally implicated, no matter which way you look at it.  We are looking at a statistic, GF, that has no obvious generic or systematic relationship with the quality of goaltending.  Whereas it does have a clear and infinitely more direct and obvious relationship to a whole bunch of other factors, all of which you'd in virtually any case cite before your goaltender's performance in explaining offensive output.  That is not to say that it can't be causally significant in individual cases, or even more generally, but you have to make the argument, and back it up with evidence that is independent of the GF average itself, not just assert it.

Do you doubt me?  Here's an example.  Like Lalime, so far this season Ed Belfour has been between the pipes in 55 games where he got a decision.  In those games, the Leafs scored an average of 2.8 goals per game (154 total goals).  Compare this to his backups.  Mikael Tellqvist has benefitted from an average of 3.2 goals/game (32 in 10 games), and Trevor Kidd from an average of 3.23 goals/game (42 in 13).  Together, Tellqvist and Kidd have played more games than Martin Prusek (23 to 21).  So Belfour's "average" is 2.8 and that of the Leafs' backups is 3.22.  Now this difference -- .42 goals/game -- is surely by plcamp's standards not just "dramatic", but stunning.  It's almost twice as big as the difference between Lalime and Prusek.

Does anybody believe that the Leaf's "offensive problems DEFINITELY relate" to Eddie Belfour?

Let's get back to Lalime.  If the Sens have so little confidence in their goalie that (somehow) it prevents them from scoring goals, then how is it that they manage to rack up huge scores for him on so many occasions?  As I pointed out in my response to Rose, the Sens' "offensive problems" are not overall lack of offensive production but striking (and unpredictable) inconsistency in offence from game to game -- a point nobody seems to want to pick up on.  The Sens can score in oodles one game and practically disappear the next.  There have been 12 games this year where the Sens have scored 5 goals or more with Lalime in nets (4 games with Prusek):  6 games with 5 goals, 4 with 5, 1 with 7, and 1 with 9.  How exactly was Lalime supposed to be hampering the offence there?

I also pointed out in that post -- a point that you neatly fail to bring up or deal with -- that the Sens' offensive inconsistency this year (which is undeniable) simply doesn't map onto Lalime's goaltending inconsistency (which is even more undeniable) from game to game.  I gave a striking multi-game example of this to BingoSensFans -- the Sens' play since the trading deadline.  Metalhawk and others want to make much of the Montreal game to suggest that the offence and team as a whole pick it up when Lalime plays well.  Really -- is that what happened?  Or was this just a rare (at least this year) occasion of the whole team clicking at the same time?  There are too many counterexamples.  Perhaps another candidate for Lalime's best performance of the year was his 1-0 shut-out against the Islanders, where he made 32 saves.  Some offensive production there.  He has played strong games against NJ, Philadelphia and Buffalo and was rewarded with a 1-0 loss and two 1-1 ties.  Conversely, Lalime stunk out the joint against Pittsburgh and was saved by a torrid Sens offence (6-5).  Lalime has let in softies all year, but that hasn't prevented the Sens from winning in many of those games and even dominating offensively.

Naturally there are times when the offence and Lalime do a vanishing act at the same time, but surely you can't just assume without further evidence that the two are causally connected in any powerful way.  There was plenty of blame to go around for the Sens' 5-1 loss against Toronto.  Hope we're not going to blame the lame offence on Lalime, though -- the power play's impressive ability to convert on 1 of 14 chances sure as heck wasn't his fault.

Again I emphasise that it may well sometimes happen that the team gets the wind sucked out of them after early/soft goals in certain individual games, with the result that the offence never really gets it together.  But as a general phenomenon, I just don't buy it, and as I've suggested, it doesn't stand up to a close, differentiated look at the Sens' season.  That's what I meant when I criticised it as a general account of what's wrong with the Sens' offence this year.

Once again:  Lalime has had a terrible season, and that's had a big impact on the Sens' place in the standings.  But it's utterly simplistic and naive to reduce every single problem in this disappointing Sens season to Lalime.  It's wishful thinking to imagine that this team has no other problems than their starting goaltender.

Offline Jenn_#11fan

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Havlat Always <3
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal - Online Oasis
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2004, 10:41:28 AM »
My god kjs, that post was absolutely brilliant. You're incredibly articulate, and state your opinions incredibly well and you back up your points! Wow! Now that's what I call a post. I read every single word.

Offline plcamp

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2004, 11:59:55 AM »
kjs,

Lots of words, but it is still true that the Sens score more, have fewer goals against and have a higher win% when Lalime does not play.

Now you could conjecture lots of things from that, but the occam's razor simplest explanation is that lalime is at the root cause.
I have never had a thought which I could not set down in words, with even more distinctness than that which I conceived it

Offline Jenn_#11fan

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Havlat Always <3
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal - Online Oasis
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2004, 12:56:11 PM »
kjs,

Lots of words, but it is still true that the Sens score more, have fewer goals against and have a higher win% when Lalime does not play.

Now you could conjecture lots of things from that, but the occam's razor simplest explanation is that lalime is at the root cause.

In other words, you have absolutely no comeback whatsoever.

kjs - 1. placamp - 0.

Offline thirstymoose_2000

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • There's Always 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2004, 01:16:58 PM »
Quote from: Jenn#40_fan
kjs,

In other words, you have absolutely no comeback whatsoever.

kjs - 1. placamp - 0.

Unless in Government, the quanitity of verbiage does not outweigh the quality. Just because PL is consice it doesn't mean that he had nothing to say.

Lalime is barely over .500 while Prusek has an exceptional win/loss recored. The team plays its system in front of Prusek but normally scrambles around the defensive zone like chickens with their heads cut-off in front of Lalime. What more needs to be said?

To encourage and support a player you like is fine, to put your head in the sand and ignore a problem will not solve anything. lalime has struggled this year and is not playing well. He is on the record, Martin is on the record and Muckler is on the record --- all admitting that.
2011-2012 Season of the Young Guns!

Offline Hayzed1

• Future Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ottawasenators.com
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2004, 02:21:54 PM »
We're all forgetting a big issue here when discussing the play of Patrick Lalime lately.

The defense cannot, and I mean CANNOT give away the puck like this in the defensive zone and expect Lalime to bail them out all the time.  Occasionally yes, always, no.

Everyone can bitch and cry about Lalime all they want, but goaltending isn't just one person's problem, it's a team thing.  When Sens cough the puck up, they COUGH it up, and create an A-1 scoring chance for the other team.
Flyers trade Ron Hextall,Peter Forsberg,Steve Duchesne,Kerry Huffman, Mike Ricci,Chris Simon,1st round selection(Jocelyn Thibault) in 1993,1st round selection(Traded to Tor),later traded to the Caps(Nolan Baumgartner) and cash for Eric Lindros