Author Topic: Fahrenheit 9/11.  (Read 10174 times)

Offline LostInTranslation

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
Fahrenheit 9/11.
« on: June 25, 2004, 10:34:54 AM »
Just curious, do any of you know when it comes out here in Ottawa? I know that it opened in some cities today, but I don't think Ottawa's included. Anyone have any idea when it's released here? I'm dying to see it.
The chief export of Chuck Norris is pain.

Offline thirstymoose_2000

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • There's Always 2012
    • View Profile
Fahrenheit 9/11.
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2004, 10:43:45 AM »
AMC - Kanata

Fahrenheit 9/11  
Rated (R) • 1 hr. 56 min.
BUY TICKETS - 12:15pm, 1:30pm, 2:45pm, 4:15pm, 5:15pm, 7:30pm, 8:00pm, 10:15pm, 10:45pm
2011-2012 Season of the Young Guns!

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
Fahrenheit 9/11.
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2004, 10:44:35 AM »
Quote from: thirstymoose_2000
AMC - Kanata

Fahrenheit 9/11  
BUY TICKETS - 12:15pm, 1:30pm, 2:45pm, 4:15pm, 5:15pm, 7:30pm, 8:00pm, 10:15pm, 10:45pm

Ahhhh. THANK YOU.

Offline brucegarrioch

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
Fahrenheit 9/11.
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2004, 10:52:23 AM »
Quote from: thirstymoose_2000
AMC - Kanata

Fahrenheit 9/11  

Did anyone catch Michael Moore sounding off about how the movie is rated R? He said he is merely showing images of what the American government has done recently, which apparently, is inappropriate for citizens under the age of 18.

Although he spun it around, he certainly got the better jab at the American government.

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
Fahrenheit 9/11.
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2004, 10:54:35 AM »
I think that rating is a little weird, as well. Though, I've read about some of the scenes and I can completely understand it. However, this isn't fiction. It's the American government. Everyone should be able to see what's going on over there.

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
Fahrenheit 9/11.
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2004, 11:04:03 AM »
Saw a story about this movie last night on CNN where they had the two 'sides' debating it and the pro-Bush guy said that under the US elections act, the movie is considered to be 'advertising' and, as a result, they will be seeking to shut it down by the end of July which comes under some sort of deadline insofar as the type of 'advertising' that it is.   :roll:  I was having trouble following his rationale, but suffice to say the Bush supporters are NOT happy at all that this movie has been released when it has been before their elections.
"If you can't make up your mind, 'What the hell' is usually the right answer."  Ellen Reid Smith

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
Fahrenheit 9/11.
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2004, 12:33:03 PM »
Moore planned for the release to be now, before the election. That was the point.

I'd be surprised if they succeeded in "shutting it down". That's ridiculous and blatant censorship.

Offline Kilgour

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
    • http://www.comedycentral.com/tv_shows/ thedailyshowwithjonstewart/
Fahrenheit 9/11.
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2004, 12:33:42 PM »
Stupid american politics...

things become so black and white, while i enjoy people discussing the issues they rarely actually 'discuss' anything. It all is essentially character assasination and twisting words of others, on both sides.

Unfortunately, that mirrors the actual political system quite accurately. If you are in ottawa, it's free to check out the house when it is in session. Now there is a laugh. They do and say stuff that would get you punished if you were in highschool.
NHL Certified

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
Fahrenheit 9/11.
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2004, 12:40:32 PM »
What I don't understand is them being afraid this movie will sway the election. Really? If people were so pro-Bush, would they even BOTHER seeing this movie? Why would they go see something that they're almost guaranteed to believe is a lie? I doubt Bush supporters are going to walk into that theatre voting for Bush and leave voting for Kerry.

I think mainly people who agree with Moore or people who are anti-Bush will go see it. It wouldn't make sense to pay to see a movie you're going to find silly and disagree with.

Offline SzuperChicky

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Offcial Coach Clouston Groupie
    • View Profile
Fahrenheit 9/11.
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2004, 01:38:54 PM »
Generally speaking, movies in the States are rated higher than those in Canada.  Something rated G here is rated PG-13 in the States...seriously.  

But look what Bush has done with celebrities who have stepped up against him using their free speech.  Such as the Dixie Chicks, etc etc.

Nevertheless, just wait until November when Bush will no longer be in power.

Tell me, what was the rating on Bowling For Columbine and Supersize Me?  This movie really is no different.  (I also thought it wasn't rated yet in Canada)
Game Day & Prediction Threads HERE

Douchebag List:
Dany Heatley, Corey Perry, Bill McCreary, Dave Branch, Ryan Kesler

Offline sens_obsessed

• Future Hall of Famer
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/qingzhao4/index.html
Fahrenheit 9/11.
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2004, 04:40:13 PM »
this is too soon, i think they should have waited a few years before they made it.

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
Fahrenheit 9/11.
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2004, 12:47:25 AM »
Just to say, I saw it. And it's amazing. Seriously. Unfrickingbelievable.

Offline ice_queen

• Hall of Fame Inductee
  • omg so cute
    • View Profile
Fahrenheit 9/11.
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2004, 11:43:57 AM »
Generally speaking, movies in the States are rated higher than those in Canada. Something rated G here is rated PG-13 in the States...seriously.

That's true.  American Pie was rated 'R' in the States, and only 14A up here.

I saw it last night (in a pack theater) and I thought it was very good.  I had already knew about some of the information that was 'exposed' but a lot of it was a shock (like the connections within businesses, etc).  I am already against the war, but the parts from the battlefield were so hard to watch.

I think they were not worried of the pro-Bush people seeing it, or the Anti-Bush people because those people have already made up thier minds.  I think they are worried about the people who have not make up their minds yet.
S.I.N.E. Qua Non

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
Fahrenheit 9/11.
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2004, 11:59:12 AM »
It's definitely eye opening. It's very VERY funny in parts, and just horribly sad in others. It was amazing to see all the connections. How everything always had ties back to companies somehow. Very weird and it makes you think.

I like how he made it so that it wasn't just anti-Bush, it was more anti-war than anything. He criticised anyone who was in support of the war in the first place.

The images from over there are heartbreaking though.

All in all, I loved it. I enjoyed it a lot more than Bowling for Columbine.

Offline Broken Bones

• Public Relations Guy...
  • Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • I'm the pain in your ass...
    • View Profile
Fahrenheit 9/11.
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2004, 02:45:12 PM »
The movie was made by the same guy who made Bowling For Columbine correct? I have heard the 2 files are very similar in how they carry a message of a serious matter using humor as well as sadness.

Offline SzuperChicky

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • Offcial Coach Clouston Groupie
    • View Profile
Fahrenheit 9/11.
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2004, 07:07:07 PM »
Quote from: Broken Bones
The movie was made by the same guy who made Bowling For Columbine correct? I have heard the 2 files are very similar in how they carry a message of a serious matter using humor as well as sadness.

Correct.

I don't know this for sure, but I think he's some how tied with Supersize Me.  I think he wrote the book Fast Food Nation - but I could be completely of base on both topics here.  Bascially the book and movie were fairly inter-related.
Game Day & Prediction Threads HERE

Douchebag List:
Dany Heatley, Corey Perry, Bill McCreary, Dave Branch, Ryan Kesler

Offline interzone

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
Fahrenheit 9/11.
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2004, 07:08:34 PM »
I don't know this for sure, but I think he's some how tied with Supersize Me. I think he wrote the book Fast Food Nation - but I could be completely of base on both topics here. Bascially the book and movie were fairly inter-related.

Eric Schlosser wrote Fast Food Nation. Moore's books aren't as nearly as well-researched as that.

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
Fahrenheit 9/11.
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2004, 07:12:30 PM »
He doesn't do research? Have you read his books? They're pretty detailed and go into a lot of depth. Everything's backed up with researched facts. Facts that prove HIS point, yes, but facts nonetheless.

Offline interzone

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
Fahrenheit 9/11.
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2004, 07:15:39 PM »
No, I didn't say not researched, I said not as well-researched. Moore uses brutal humour a lot, and it tends to make him less academic and less credible in the eyes of a lot of intellectual heavyweights. If you really want well-researched political commentary from the same left-wing upbringing as Moore, Noam Chomsky is the way to go.

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
Fahrenheit 9/11.
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2004, 07:19:38 PM »
Moore takes serious subjects and proves his points with humor. It isn't all humor, but it's there. I find it a relief, actually. I like his style.