Author Topic: The Official PET PEEVE Thread? (Vol 2)  (Read 124948 times)

Offline Small Town

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
Re: The Official PET PEEVE Thread? (Vol 2)
« Reply #1200 on: July 28, 2009, 08:06:43 AM »
They must not have gotten very far, because my wife who's surname starts with M still has her old black and red card and refuses to get a new one.

The new cards were implemented the same year we moved from BC to Ottawa, i remember waiting for hours before we were finally seen to process our info for our health cards.  It was the same thing the following year or so when I had to go back because I was 16 and my card now required a picture.
I was an early adopter of the new picture health card (my wallet was stolen and I had to replace all my ID).  I lost my health card this spring and replacing it was easy-peasy.  Called them up and a replacement was in my mailbox in less than two weeks.  No fuss, no muss. 
It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: July 28, 2009, 08:10:08 AM »
I don't know if it is because everything is so wet, but they have been everywhere this year.  We are even finding them on our kitchen counter at times and our basement floor, really disgusting.  We started out having an ant issue in our kitchen, that seems to have gone away, now it is just these damn earwigs.

They seem to be quite cyclical....we can go two to three years without them and then BAM!!! we get a year with tons and tons.  The wet weather is likely helping them because the soil is staying so wet/damp.  We keep a 'squeezy' bottle of one part dish detergent to two parts water by the back door because at night, they are all over the patiio....spraying them with this kills them pretty effectively.  They slither along for an inch or so and then stop, dead.  But I still hate them with a passion and they have been getting into the house over the course of the past week which usually means their numbers have increased exponentially. :icon_vomit:
"If you can't make up your mind, 'What the hell' is usually the right answer."  Ellen Reid Smith

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: July 28, 2009, 08:12:34 AM »
The other 'easy' way to get a health card updated is to go onto the Ministry of Health website and make an appointment to get a new card.  Did this with my husband and my daughter....book an appointment at their 75 Albert Street office and when you enter, there are tons of people waiting with a number.  However, if you booked an appointment, they call you by name, you fill out the forms, have your picture taken and you are out of there!  Very quick and 'painless'! :nod:
"If you can't make up your mind, 'What the hell' is usually the right answer."  Ellen Reid Smith

Offline stone169

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: July 28, 2009, 08:26:55 AM »
The other 'easy' way to get a health card updated is to go onto the Ministry of Health website and make an appointment to get a new card.  Did this with my husband and my daughter....book an appointment at their 75 Albert Street office and when you enter, there are tons of people waiting with a number.  However, if you booked an appointment, they call you by name, you fill out the forms, have your picture taken and you are out of there!  Very quick and 'painless'! :nod:
Thanks Rose.  That's good to know considering my health is up this year.
There are good coaches and there are bad coaches, the real question is "Do you want this person to be a role model to your kids for the next 6 months".  That's the question you have to ask yourself.

Go Sarnia Jr. Sting Minor Midget MD!!!!!

Offline Broken Bones

• Public Relations Guy...
  • Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • I'm the pain in your ass...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: July 28, 2009, 09:07:47 AM »

Wish you could have told that to my parents back in 98!

I recently renewed my heath card and I went to City Hall to do it one day while I was at the courthouse for work.  I figured I had to walk through city hall from/to my car and was walking right by the provincial services area.  Took about 15 minutes.

The last time I had to renew it we happened to be up in Sudbury on a weekday, took a whopping 5 minutes there!

Offline OS

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • MacLean is Really Good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: July 28, 2009, 10:15:11 AM »
Getting a health card is much quicker than when it came in to place.  So, millions blown on an failed "e-health" initiative but no funds for the most basic abvious fraud prevention step  :paddle: :paddle: :paddle:

I don't blame people for holding on to their old ones, what's the point of trading it in if you don't have to when the system has a huge hole in it.

-------------
Pet peeve again.  My team's soccer practice field.  Once the school year is over, the city cuts the grass about 2 tmies all summer, usually when it is wet and all that does is push the grass down for a while.  Now, I do appreciate that the lines were refreshed, even if it was over 3" long grass. 

Offline Broken Bones

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: July 28, 2009, 10:37:47 AM »
Ahh the City.

Our BMX track is located in Trillium Park at 2020 Oglivie Road, in the back part of the park behind the skate park, beside the soccer field, squeezed in between the back of the baseball diamond and the Transit Way Off Ramp of the 174/Blair.

We have a loosing battle with weeds, our organization is 100% volunteer run, there is no way we can keep up with how fast the weeds/grass grows, it is amazing how much it effects the actual track surface.  We have regular communication with the City and politely asked them last year if their crews could cut the grass/weeds the same time they are there maintain the rest of the park, we were told no, there was no budget for that.  A couple weeks go by and we come to the track to see that the soccer field, which was in perfectly good shape, had been fenced off because the City decided that they needed to rip up the existing turf and reseed, all while we are told the city can not maintain the land which they own where our track is located while the crew it out maintaining the rest of the park.

Offline classmate

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: July 28, 2009, 08:18:19 PM »
What is an earwig???? 

My pet peeve, now don't laugh.  It's when the toilet paper is on the roll incorrectly.  You know, you pull it under the roll instead of over the roll. 

Come on, I said don't laugh.   :icon_hiding2:    :giggles:

Also when you don't use an "AN" in front of words beginning with a vowel!  Hence my modification.   :thumbsup:

Offline Broken Bones

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: July 28, 2009, 09:29:46 PM »

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: July 28, 2009, 11:50:19 PM »
What is an earwig???? 

My pet peeve, now don't laugh.  It's when the toilet paper is on the roll incorrectly.  You know, you pull it under the roll instead of over the roll. 

Come on, I said don't laugh.   :icon_hiding2:    :giggles:

Also when you don't use an "AN" in front of words beginning with a vowel!  Hence my modification.   :thumbsup:

Earwigs are nasty little bugs that eat plants...particularly annuals (they like the roots first then the unbloomed flowers, flowers, leaves).  They don't like perennials as much (because their roots are woodier) but they do like some of their unbloomed flowers.  They invaded the Ottawa area in 1981 (yes....I remember the year because it was the summer just before I got married in early fall and there were several outdoor bridal showers when we were driven indoors at a couple due to the amount of them....they love to leave the plants and hang out on the patios in the dark) They are ugly, creepy and very annoying if you value your garden.  When we grew veggies at our last house (when we had our third child, I told hubby I either raised the kids or the veggies...not both!) and we used to have to clean all the veggies outdoors because the earwigs would just INFEST them.....you would put a head of romaine lettuce in the sink and then have dozens of them coming out of 'hiding'.    YECH!!!!!  And they are fast little SOBs.  The few summers we have NOT been infested are happy times indeed! :nod:  They have few (if any yet) known predators....although if you leave a few dead ones on a windowsill, their 'relatives' will eat their corpse the next day!!  Yes.....I spend a lot of time on my patio in the summer! ;)

^^Hate to break it to you, cm, but we pull from under the roll.   :icon_hiding2: 

We also all have "innie" bellybuttons in our house!  :mrgreen:

Offline CrustyOldGuy

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: July 29, 2009, 07:51:55 AM »
^^  I wonder if it's those little buggers that are wiping out our planters this year.  Two hanging baskets have been totally destroyed.  Two urns are on their last legs.  Haven't spotted any in the pots, but I will have to take a peek at them at night.

I have noticed more of them this year, which I blamed on the rain.

And yes CM, the paper should roll over the top...  :D
Now that I am older, I thought it was great that I seemed to have more patience.  Turns out I just don't give a damn.

I don't have an attitude...I have a personality you can't handle!

Offline Broken Bones

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: July 29, 2009, 08:34:25 AM »
I agree with the TP thing, it has to come over the top.

Offline classmate

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: July 29, 2009, 11:10:08 AM »
Earwigs are nasty little bugs that eat plants...particularly annuals (they like the roots first then the unbloomed flowers, flowers, leaves).  They don't like perennials as much (because their roots are woodier) but they do like some of their unbloomed flowers.  They invaded the Ottawa area in 1981 (yes....I remember the year because it was the summer just before I got married in early fall and there were several outdoor bridal showers when we were driven indoors at a couple due to the amount of them....they love to leave the plants and hang out on the patios in the dark) They are ugly, creepy and very annoying if you value your garden.  When we grew veggies at our last house (when we had our third child, I told hubby I either raised the kids or the veggies...not both!) and we used to have to clean all the veggies outdoors because the earwigs would just INFEST them.....you would put a head of romaine lettuce in the sink and then have dozens of them coming out of 'hiding'.    YECH!!!!!  And they are fast little SOBs.  The few summers we have NOT been infested are happy times indeed! :nod:  They have few (if any yet) known predators....although if you leave a few dead ones on a windowsill, their 'relatives' will eat their corpse the next day!!  Yes.....I spend a lot of time on my patio in the summer! ;)

^^Hate to break it to you, cm, but we pull from under the roll.   :icon_hiding2: 

We also all have "innie" bellybuttons in our house!  :mrgreen:

Freaky.... and so are the bugs.    :smily1263:    :icon_hiding2:     

:kidding:

Offline rose

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: July 29, 2009, 11:56:35 AM »
^^I forgot to mention in my last post that "bellybuttons" creep me out a bit....that's why I mentioned them! :duh

Offline Small Town

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: July 29, 2009, 12:17:56 PM »
bellybuttons are cute!
It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others.

Offline butterfly_style

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • The Puck Stops Here
    • View Profile
« Reply #1215 on: July 29, 2009, 03:02:23 PM »
bellybuttons are cute!
And very functional.
Think about it the next time you're eating celery in bed, and need a little container for the cheese-whiz. :D

Offline Broken Bones

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: July 29, 2009, 03:06:24 PM »
And very functional.
Think about it the next time you're eating celery in bed, and need a little container for the cheese-whiz. :D

:A_laughing_matter:

When you get a little "belly button lint" with your cheese-whiz dip are those your "ants on a log"?

Offline Broken Bones

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: March 04, 2010, 10:27:33 AM »
So, here's a topper for you all.

Being the only employee of a business closing it's doors.  Ultimately meaning I am the one who processes the termination of my own employment.

Offline OS

• Sens Fan Hall of Fame
  • MacLean is Really Good!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: March 04, 2010, 10:44:14 AM »
So, here's a topper for you all.

Being the only employee of a business closing it's doors.  Ultimately meaning I am the one who processes the termination of my own employment.

Are you really doing this?

Offline Broken Bones

• Global Moderator
  • Sens Fan Hall of Fame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: March 04, 2010, 10:48:41 AM »
Are you really doing this?

Indeed I am.